How nutritious is Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How nutritious is Turkey

Since Thanksgiving is coming I'm wondering just how good Turkey is for you as a meal. I don't intend on substituting it with tofu or anything but I am trying to watch my weight. What part is best to eat? The white meat? What are other great traditional sides are nutritious?

I was under the impression that turkey was pretty good for you. It's a lean protein and it has tryptophan in it which is good for your sleep. As long as you don't eat the skin, it's one of the healthiest things you can eat on thanksgiving as far as I understand it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bethie View Post
      I was under the impression that turkey was pretty good for you. It's a lean protein and it has tryptophan in it which is good for your sleep. As long as you don't eat the skin, it's one of the healthiest things you can eat on thanksgiving as far as I understand it.

I agree with Bethie. Aside from being a pretty good sleep aid it is pretty good for you Just remember that if you want to be ultra-healthy avoid eating the skin....even though that's really tough cause it's soooo goood!

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post

I agree with Bethie. Aside from being a pretty good sleep aid it is pretty good for you Just remember that if you want to be ultra-healthy avoid eating the skin....even though that's really tough cause it's soooo goood!
        I love it, too! I actually eat ground turkey year round but I find it hard to get anything but either a whole turkey or ground turkey. They don't seem to sell broken down parts of turkey during the rest of the year, just the whole thing or ground meat. Do you know why that is? I can't cook up a whole turkey on occasion so I'm usually stuck with gorund.

Comment

Really? I thought they actually sold turkey necks and turkey legs. I'm pretty sure they sell parts of turkey and not just the whole bird. Maybe it depend on where you shop. Have you checked your local butcher?

Comment

Wow! I had no idea. Thanks Bethie

JokerzWild - I have to agree with Bethie, I don't recall seeing any parts of turkey being sold other than ground turkey, turkey sausages or the whole bird. Perhaps a butcher might have some, but it's definitely not something sold at my local supermarket.

Comment

Working...
            X