energy before or after a workout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• energy before or after a workout

I’ve been thinking. Is it better to get your energy burst before a workout or after? Is it better to focus on getting the most energy into your exercises, or is it better to try to rescue the rest of your day by not running out of steam ten minutes after you sit down following your workout?

That's a good question. I think that both are a good idea. I guess if you had to pick one, it would be better to energize yourself before the workout so that you are motivated to exercise. The whole point is to exercise, so I guess its better to motivate yourself to do it to make sure that you actually do it than to concentrate on energizing yourself after. Hopefully exercising will help to keep you active and charged for the rest of the day.

Comment

Ya, I also say energy before workout. I'd rather have the energy beforehand to make sure I actually workout. Whatever happens after I workout isn't as important in my mind as making sure that I exercise in the first place

Comment

Personally I prefer the energy boost after my workout. I find if I don't do that, I drag for the rest of the day. I allow myself two cups of coffee. I have one before I exercise but save the second for later on in the day and I find that works wonders for me. I would try experimenting with it Bethie. You'll likely find what works for you. That said, the real trick is trying to make a regular habit out of exercise. I find that exercising in the morning is best and doing it around the same time each day is also important.

Comment

I think that what I've found is that if I have a cup of coffee RIGHT before I exercise, it starts to kick in right near the end of my workout when I would otherwise start to drag. Then I have another coffee after my workout to reinforce the energy that I get from the first one. So far, that seems to be working the best.Thanks for the advice! You're right about exercising in the morning Speeddemon. I've never been a morning person, but that does seem to work best.

Comment

Yeah, morning exercise is the pits but it's really the best time to do it. It does get your day off to a good start (once you're awake and over the frustration of having to exercise lol) and then you don't have to worry about exercising for the rest of the day. Any additional exercise you do feels like a bonus haha. Glad you found something that works for you.

Comment

LOL I like that you pointed out that hte day goes fine once you get over being frustrated about exercising. That’s how I feel. I drag myself to do it but I’m actually pretty content once I actually get going. I like knowing that once I’m done exercising I’m done for the day and I can just move on and forget about it. It does stink to have to actually think about being active that early, though. I’m very grumpy before I work out but fortunately it seems to turn my mood around and I’m energized afterward.

Comment

Exactly Bethie. It can be a real pain, but it's better to just do it and be done with it. Any time I've saved exercising for later...I've done it maybe once or twice. I'm terrible when I put things off. I always find some excuse not to do it. I'd rather just get it done and then I can feel good knowing that it's out of my hair...even if I dread the first 10 minutes of it hahaha.

Comment

It's amazing how you can mean well and then the time just gets eaten up, too, Speeddemon. Even if you don't put it off, but you really mean to do it at a certain time, the day fills up so fast that it can make it impossible. I've started walking to everything within walking distance.Then, I'm forced to walk home, too, whether I want to, or not. I can't put that off! haha

Comment

Walking whenever you can is a big help. I've also started walking to things that are close, but I know it's not going to last. As soon as the weather turns sour, I know it'll stop LOL!

Comment

Maybe the key is to get yourself a great snowsuit and then learn to love walking in snow. Make a bit of a game out of it, or try to smile while you do it. Sounds a bit crazy but maybe you'll do it for longer, even if you give up in the worst of it!

Comment

Hahaha! Maybe I should do that or invest in a good pair of snowshoes!...or maybe I should take up cross-country skiing hahah!

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post
                          Hahaha! Maybe I should do that or invest in a good pair of snowshoes!...or maybe I should take up cross-country skiing hahah!
                          If that's what it takes haha. I don't think that I'm dedicated enough to take up a new sport just to be able to say that I kept up my daily walks. I think I'll have to accept the fact that I'll bundle up and do my best, but I just won't be going as far in the winter time as I usually do.

Comment

Working...
                          X