Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are generics just as good as brand names?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are generics just as good as brand names?

Do generic pills have the same quality as brand name pills or is one better than the other? I always thought that generics had to have the same ingredients as the brand name product and should, therefore, produce the same results. However, I have recently learned this is not true with some medication. Is it the same for diet pills?

I'm pretty sure they are just as good. I know generics are supposed to have the same type and amount of active ingredients. However, I think the other ingredients they use can be different.. Perhaps this is what makes them cause different effects in some cases. That said, I was always under the impression that it doesn't matter if you get a brand name or a generic because it's the same.

Comment

Like Firefly77 has said, generics contain the same quantities of active ingredients but they can have different non-active ingredients. They are not always the same. In some instances, studies have found that some generics are not as effective as brand names and can even make a problem worse. I have no idea if this is the same with diet pills though. Essentially, if you are going to be prescribed prescription diet pills from your doctor, make sure you find out the exact product he/she wants you to take. Ask them if there is a generic version and if you can take it. Take whatever is prescribed.

Comment

I think it depends on the specific pill and generic. Some do well, some are horrible. Freddy really said it right. Thanks man!

Comment

Some are the same and some aren't. That doesn't really make sense to me because they are supposed to be the exact same chemical in the same dosage, but it's still the case. Must have something to do with the manufacturing.

Comment

Originally posted by brightstar View Post
            Some are the same and some aren't. That doesn't really make sense to me because they are supposed to be the exact same chemical in the same dosage, but it's still the case. Must have something to do with the manufacturing.
            Your'e right Brightstart, it's all about the manufacturing process. Think about it this way, TracyK - you and a friend could both make a cake following the same recipe, adding the exact some quantities of all the ingredients without making any substitutions. However, for some reason your cakes come out tasting different. This could be the result of the type or brand of flour or sugar, eggs you used, etc. etc. that were different from your friend's. Even your oven may cause something to bake differently than someone else's. The point is, even when the recipe is the same, there are several variables that could lead to a different outcome.

Comment

Don't think of generics and brand names as the same thing. The only thing that is the "same" about most of them is the active ingredient. Other than that...who knows what you're getting. The major difference between brand name and generic is price. Generic is much cheaper. When it comes to prescription drugs I would not opt for the generic unless my doctor said it was alright.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony1968 View Post
                Don't think of generics and brand names as the same thing. The only thing that is the "same" about most of them is the active ingredient. Other than that...who knows what you're getting. The major difference between brand name and generic is price. Generic is much cheaper. When it comes to prescription drugs I would not opt for the generic unless my doctor said it was alright.
                That's a good way to think about it. I guess it's like buying brand name ketchup vs store brand. They're both ketchup, but they're really different.

Comment

Thanks for all of your responses. I didn't realize that generics could be so different from brand name. I really thought it was the price that made it different. This is good to know!

Comment

Working...
                  X