Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I/ Can I still take OTC diet pills?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I/ Can I still take OTC diet pills?

Once I've reached my weight loss goal and I just want to manage my weight, can I still take OTC dietary supplements for weight management? I'm only asking because I'm worried that if I stop I'll gain back the weight because I won't have the energy anymore and I'll go back to feeling hungry all the time again. Has anyone stayed on their diet pills even after they've lost weight?

I suppose you could, but wouldn't it be way better just to see how you do on your own for a while. Do your best to keep up your good habits and still weigh yourself every week or however often you've been weighing yourself. If you start to gain more than a couple of pounds and you think you won't be able to turn it around yoruself, you can think about using supplements again. I just don't think they're meant to be a forever plan.

Comment

I have to agree with enviroTodd. I get why you may be a little worried about going off the pills since you have been using them as support, but they are only meant to get you there...they're not really something you should keep taking. It's never good to be dependent on anything. That type of mindset could end up causing more harm than good in the long run.
      Last edited by Janet; 11-18-2019, 02:02 PM.

Comment

I agree. THere's nothing stopping you from going back on them if you feel that your habits are slipping and you need to get yoruself back on track, but once you're maintaining your weight instead of working on losing it, you should give it a try on your own.

Comment

You could but I also agree that I think the whole point is to build habits that will lead to you to be able to manage your weight on your own. Think of pills like crunches and a cast when you have a broken leg. They help you to get around and do what you need to do while you heal, but once you're healed, the cast comes off and you walk on your own again. Diet pill help you with your dieting and exercising but once you've got your weight under control and you've figured out how to keep it there, you don't need them anymore.
          Last edited by Firefly77; 12-02-2019, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post
            I suppose you could, but wouldn't it be way better just to see how you do on your own for a while. Do your best to keep up your good habits and still weigh yourself every week or however often you've been weighing yourself. If you start to gain more than a couple of pounds and you think you won't be able to turn it around yoruself, you can think about using supplements again. I just don't think they're meant to be a forever plan.
            Thanks! I never really thought of it that way. I feel a little better knowing that this would be a good plan. I get that I shouldn't take them forever, but at the same time I kinda wanna know that I can go back on them if I feel that I need to.

Comment

Originally posted by MeSarah View Post

Thanks! I never really thought of it that way. I feel a little better knowing that this would be a good plan. I get that I shouldn't take them forever, but at the same time I kinda wanna know that I can go back on them if I feel that I need to.
              I think it's important for everyone to have a certain flexibility in mind when it comes to long-term weight management. No matter what we do, no weight will stay the same forever, so we need to be willing to adapt.

Comment

Working...
              X