Don't be fooled by "up to"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't be fooled by "up to"

One thing I've noticed when researching non-prescription diet pills is that when the manufacturers tell you how much weight to lose, they always tend to include the words "up to" in front of their of their claims. So you can lose "up to 25 pounds in one month", for example. That doesn't mean you will lose 25 pounds it means you can lose anywhere from 1 to 25 pounds in one month. Don't let those words fool you!

Ya, I need to be careful with the “up to”. I always get excited when I see how much weight loss is projected and then see the words up to and deflate a little. The best way to think about it is that it is Up To You how much weight you lose. Don’t expect any diet pills to work like magic. Eat a good low-cal, low-fat diet and exercise a lot. By doing this, you are far more likely to lose more than less on the “up to” scale.

Comment

I know! I hate up to!!! It’s such clever marketing. I always get fooled by that. Doesn’t matter if it’s diet pills or when I go shopping lol.

Comment

It really is such a frustrating term. It's everywhere, too, not just in diet pills. Have you ever walked into a clothing store and there's a big sign above a rack of great dresses that says 75% off, and then you look at the tag hanging from the gorgeous outfit that you want and it's only 10% off? It's only when you get really close that you can see the teensy little "up to" on the sign. Marketers really know how to mess with our brains, don't they?!

Comment

They do. This is part of the reason I love when stores are going out of business (bad for them good for me) because I love the signs that says 50% off entire store stock...no "up to" no "on select items". Too bad diet pills can't tell you exactly how much you will lose. Wouldn't it be awesome if there was a product that said "Take as directed and lose 10 pounds in 14 days". Now that's a product I could get on board with!

Comment

I think that the terms “up to” should be abolished from advertising. Instead, a range should have to be provided. Saying 0 to 10 pounds per week provides a much clearer statement than “up to 10 pounds” when you’re not analyzing every word (like the way normal people read!).

Comment

Originally posted by TroyBurger View Post
              They do. This is part of the reason I love when stores are going out of business (bad for them good for me) because I love the signs that says 50% off entire store stock...no "up to" no "on select items". Too bad diet pills can't tell you exactly how much you will lose. Wouldn't it be awesome if there was a product that said "Take as directed and lose 10 pounds in 14 days". Now that's a product I could get on board with!
              Exactly! You can actually trust a company that isn't trying to mess with you and create frustration or even embarrassment

Comment

Working...
              X