Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a difference between supplements and OTC diet pills?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a difference between supplements and OTC diet pills?

Can supplements also be considered non-prescription diet pills? I know that sounds like an odd question, but when I think of supplements I think of vitamins and minerals, not diet pills.

Yes. I'm not sure what it is. But Aspirin is an OTC pill and it's not a supplement so there must be some difference

Comment

I think that it has to do with the strength of the substance, how it has been tested, the claims that can be made, and how much control authorities have over it. I think that it is harder to become an over the counter medication than it is to become a supplement.

Comment

I always thought they were the same. A lot of people use the terms OTC diet pill and supplement interchangeably. Now, I have no idea if that is correct, but it makes sense to me. But 1000kilowatts does have a point, there are over the counter drugs that are not supplements, but the question is are there any non-drug diet pills that are OTC and are not supplements?

Comment

I think Drew is right in that it has to do with the strength of the substance, but I also think it has to do with what ingredients are used, as well. In the U.S. dietary supplements are defined as food, but in other parts of the world they could be considered drugs. It's really hard to know the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by JokerzWild View Post
            I think Drew is right in that it has to do with the strength of the substance, but I also think it has to do with what ingredients are used, as well. In the U.S. dietary supplements are defined as food, but in other parts of the world they could be considered drugs. It's really hard to know the difference.
            I agree. Like if you have an antihistamine chemical, it's considered a medication even if it's really weak.

Comment

Hmmm...thanks for all of your responses. I'm still a little unclear as to what the difference is, but I think I have a better idea at least LOL

Comment

I always thought anything herbal was considered a supplement and anything that was a chemical was an OTC drug. At least that was my understanding of it.

Comment

Working...
                X