what does cgmp stand for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what does cgmp stand for?

I’ve seen this a few times on diet pills. What does cgmp mean?

As best as I understand it CGMP stands for "Current Good Manufacturing Practice" and its regulation enforced by the FDA. Manufactureres that follow cGMP practices are those that provide systems which ensure that proper design, monitoring and control of manufacturing processes and facilities are upheld in accordance with FDA regulations. That said, even if a product is made in such a facility it doesn't mean that the product or the facility itself was approved by the FDA.

Comment

It means exactly what Freddy said. Essentially the product was made in a facility that practices CGMP standards enforced by the FDA but the product itself hasn't been approved by the FDA and it doesn't actually mean that the product itself is safe or even effective.

Comment

Yup, that's exactly it. Sometimes, companies talk about it and just call it GMP but it means the exact same thing. There are regulations in place and they're regularly updated to keep up the consistency and purity of a product so you don't end up with two batches of supplements that contain different balances or strengths of ingredients.

Comment

so does that mean that the fda has made sure that there aren't any illegal ingredients in the pills that are made with cgmp manufacturing?

Comment

Originally posted by KittyKatt View Post
            so does that mean that the fda has made sure that there aren't any illegal ingredients in the pills that are made with cgmp manufacturing?
            That's a good question but I don't think so. Plus even if they did, this doesn't stop a disreputable manufacturer from using illegal ingredients and simply claiming that their product is cGMP certified. I honestly wouldn't necessarily trust the efficacy or safety of a product simply because it claims it was manufactured in a GMP facility.

Comment

Does it at least mean the ingredients are guaranteed to be pure, if it's a standard focused on consistency? Does that mean they're at least quality ingredients even if they're not proven?

Comment

Working...
              X