Are there therapies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there therapies?

Aside from prescription diet drugs, does anyone knows if there are therapies for weight loss that can be prescribed by doctors. Like, certain things that you can do that can help put you in a better state of mind or stop yourself from overeating or something like that. Kindof like how there are therapies for mental health? Is that a thing?

I think basically the therapies recommended for weight loss are primarily diet and exercise. There are also recommendations I've heard of for mental health in that they say that getting the right amount of sleep and overcoming symptoms of conditions such as excess stress, anxiety and depression can also help. So on the mental health side, it's a matter of figuring out what is harming your weight, then working on that. It's not like there is a specific weight loss mental health package that I about at least. But if you have too much stress, for example, by managing and coping with that stress, you can help yourself to better manager your weight, too.

Comment

Originally posted by brightstar View Post
      I think basically the therapies recommended for weight loss are primarily diet and exercise. There are also recommendations I've heard of for mental health in that they say that getting the right amount of sleep and overcoming symptoms of conditions such as excess stress, anxiety and depression can also help. So on the mental health side, it's a matter of figuring out what is harming your weight, then working on that. It's not like there is a specific weight loss mental health package that I about at least. But if you have too much stress, for example, by managing and coping with that stress, you can help yourself to better manager your weight, too.
      Thanks for sharing your thoughts! What you said makes a lot of sense. I just thought that there might be other therapies, like behavioral therapies or something like that which might help to overcome appetite suppression and things like that.

Comment

Originally posted by TroyBurger View Post

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! What you said makes a lot of sense. I just thought that there might be other therapies, like behavioral therapies or something like that which might help to overcome appetite suppression and things like that.
        Oh I see what you mean. I guess that depends on the individual. So like if you aren't doing your best with excess stress and that's causing you to eat more or exercise less, therapy for stress management would be recommended. If you aren't getting the sleep you need, therapy for that. I guess behavioral therapies would be recommended if you're found to have behavior-related issues holding you back from getting a healthy body weight. So I'm thinking if you don't want prescription diet pills and if you still can't get the dietary and exercise changes under control that would be your main route to losing the pounds, the next step is to take a closer look at the other barriers in the way to be dealt with on a case by case basis.

Comment

Sure there are. My diet, exercise and stress especially. My doctor just finished telling me to cut back on carbs since they make up three quarters of my daily calories. I need to get my ratio with protein and fat balanced better.

Comment

There are cognitive behavioral therapies that my help you, depending on what your struggles are. That said, just like other weight loss support aids, these therapies are used alongside other weight loss efforts, the therapies themselves won't lead to weight loss. Still, if you think that you could benefit from something like that, talk to a medical professional about your options.

Comment

Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post
              There are cognitive behavioral therapies that my help you, depending on what your struggles are. That said, just like other weight loss support aids, these therapies are used alongside other weight loss efforts, the therapies themselves won't lead to weight loss. Still, if you think that you could benefit from something like that, talk to a medical professional about your options.
              There are a growing number of professionals who can help you with this sort of thing by video chat on the computer or phone app. It's not like back when you would have to go in to an office. So that makes life a lot easier and sometimes cheaper, too.

Comment

Working...
              X