Non-prescription alternatives versus prescription diet pills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-prescription alternatives versus prescription diet pills

Are non-prescription diet pills that are supposed to be similar to prescription diet pills (ex. Alli vs. Xenical or Apidex vs. Adipex) beneficial? I get that the prescription variety are naturally more powerful, but are there any benefits to the non-prescription ones at all? Do they work? Are some better than others?

Some of them do work, but most of them don't. Alli isn't bad because it just is a lower dose of orlistat, which is the same drug that is in Xenical (there is just a lot more in Xenical). Like anything, you need to read what is in the ingredients and research them. You can't just trust a pill because the manufacturer claims it is an alternative to phentermine, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfMoon View Post
      Some of them do work, but most of them don't. Alli isn't bad because it just is a lower dose of orlistat, which is the same drug that is in Xenical (there is just a lot more in Xenical). Like anything, you need to read what is in the ingredients and research them. You can't just trust a pill because the manufacturer claims it is an alternative to phentermine, for example.
      I personally think that the whole Alli thing is actually a marketing ploy and not an actual achievement. Yes, it uses orlistat (xenical), but it uses so little of it that you don't even need a prescription...which to me means that it uses so little that it won't really work.

Comment

I personally don't think that the OTC alternatives are all that strong. Some certainly are better than others, but if you want something as powerful as a prescription drug, then you'll need to get something that is prescription strength.

Comment

I think that there are good ones and bad ones just like any other kind of product. You can say that from medications to shampoos, after all. So the trick is to find an alternative that is actually good - easier said than done!

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post
            I think that there are good ones and bad ones just like any other kind of product. You can say that from medications to shampoos, after all. So the trick is to find an alternative that is actually good - easier said than done!

you're right about that Bean, it is easier said than done, lol. However, you do make a good point, in fact, all of you do. Sometimes it would be nice if there was an easy solution though. Why it is always so difficult to find a product that is good, safe and can be trusted? I get that it's always a possibility for person's body to just not react well to something, but it would be nice if company's were honest and didn't make unfounded claims about their products.

Comment

Working...
            X