Prescription strength question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prescription strength question

What is the difference between a product that requires a prescription and one that is prescription strength?

I think the main difference is that the one that requires a prescription you cannot legally obtain without it being prescribed by your doctor (getting your doctor's written consent). The other one is a product that the manufacturer claims has the same strength as prescription medication but does not require a doctor's approval to obtain it. Essentially anything that is claimed to be prescription strength is not, because if it was, you would require a prescription. Hope that made sense

Comment

So does a nonprescription prescription strength pill actually exist?

Comment

Originally posted by BigBobby View Post
        So does a nonprescription prescription strength pill actually exist?

Not really, because if it was prescription strength, as SuzieQ pointed out, it would need a prescription. That said, there are some OTC weight loss products out there that are stronger than others. Take Alli for instance. While it does contain the prescription drug orlistat (Xenical) the dosage is far less so it doesn't require a doctor's prescription. So I guess in the case of that pill you could say it's a nonprescirption prescription strength pill...but still, not really.

Comment

Thanks. I appreciate having that explained. The wording in these products is really confusing.

Comment

I think the regulations about wording should be just slightly stricter

Comment

Working...
            X