Seizure drug to lose weight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seizure drug to lose weight?

I was thinking about an earlier thread on this forum that talked about Qsymia and I noticed that one of the 2 medications in it is a seizure drug. How is that right? Does it burn fat?

That doesn't sound right. I've heard of smoking cessation drugs being used for weight loss, too

Comment

I have no idea. I don't get why drugs that are used to treat other health conditions are used for weight loss. It doesn't seem right to me either.

Comment

Apparently topiramate can actually help with weight loss, especially when combined with the right diet and exercise. The main problem with the drug seems to be that it can cause lots of unpleasant side effects, like drowsiness, dizziness, nervousness, vision problems, problems with memory and many others. Personally, I think the risk of potential side effects that it has makes it not worth it to take, even if it can help you to lose weight.

Comment

Personally, I don't think it's right brightstar. It's like they are combining any drugs that have the potential to cause weight loss together, just that they can release something new. Doctor's should be thinking more about the health of their patients.

Comment

Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post
            Personally, I don't think it's right brightstar. It's like they are combining any drugs that have the potential to cause weight loss together, just that they can release something new. Doctor's should be thinking more about the health of their patients.
            I couldn't agree with you more, BabyButtons. This is a very common technique that is used in the pharmaceuticals industry when they want to be able to make more money from a drug that they have already created and have had approved by the FDA. It takes a huge amount of time and money to get a drug approved, so once they’ve done it, they pay attention to the side effects that pop up so that they can see if any of them can be marketed in a different way.

Don’t fool yourself into thinking that big pharma is out there to help you to heal up and get better. They’re not there to cure cancer. They’re there to make money from cancer patients. It’s how the game works. So if they can use an anti-seizure medication to help you to think you’ll lose weight faster, that’s what they’ll do. If you have a look at the studies behind this medication, though, you’ll see that people who used it only lost about a pound per month! You could do better than that on the McDonald’s diet.

Comment

That’s what I thought! Things like this just freak me out. I don’t like the idea of being an ongoing medical experiment for people who want to rush products to market and simply make as much money as they can from them.

Comment

I don't get why they just don't put out products that they know works. Even if it takes years to develop them, I'd rather know what I'm putting in my body makes sense. But I guess the problem is there are a lot of people who are willing to take just about anything because they are desperate or , in other cases, they are looking for an easy way out.

Comment

It's all about money. They really don't care about whether or not they work as long as they can sell them. That's the whole point to their development, which is very expensive.

Comment

Working...
                  X