Should side effects be expected?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should side effects be expected?

I'm constantly hearing about the potential for serious side effects with prescription drugs. While I know not everyone who takes weight loss medication is going to experience sever symptoms that call for an emergency situation, what I'm wondering is should the average person expect to experience some bad side effects? If so, what might these side effects be and when should you stop using the medication. What I mean is what type of side effect is considered severe enough that you should stop?

Prescription medications are serious chemicals. Usually, the FDA only approves them if the severe side effects are considered to be rare. So in the majority of users, severe side effects won't occur. Still, in most users some unwanted side effects of a mild or even moderate level will happen. So essentially, while you shouldn't expect that you will experience severe side effects, you should be prepared for them. The first time or two that you take the medication, make sure you won't be alone for a few hours, if possible. Also,if you are around someone else for the first few times you take the pills, tell them what it is and that you're taking it for the first time, so that if they need to call for help for you, they know what may be the cause. If you are alone, make sure you've read over the potential side effects (you should do that anyway) and pay close attention to how you feel so you can call 911 if you need to, as soon as possible. More than likely, if you experience side effects, they'll just be a nuisance or something you'll want to talk to your doc about. Not an emergency.

Comment

Most side effects aren't all that strong most of the time. I've never used any kind of prescription pill without some kind of side effect, but usually they're barely even a bother

Comment

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post
        Prescription medications are serious chemicals. Usually, the FDA only approves them if the severe side effects are considered to be rare. So in the majority of users, severe side effects won't occur. Still, in most users some unwanted side effects of a mild or even moderate level will happen. So essentially, while you shouldn't expect that you will experience severe side effects, you should be prepared for them. The first time or two that you take the medication, make sure you won't be alone for a few hours, if possible. Also,if you are around someone else for the first few times you take the pills, tell them what it is and that you're taking it for the first time, so that if they need to call for help for you, they know what may be the cause. If you are alone, make sure you've read over the potential side effects (you should do that anyway) and pay close attention to how you feel so you can call 911 if you need to, as soon as possible. More than likely, if you experience side effects, they'll just be a nuisance or something you'll want to talk to your doc about. Not an emergency.

Thanks.I think you answered my question for the most part.

Comment

Working...
        X