What is a sympathomimetic amine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a sympathomimetic amine?

I know that diet drugs contain ingredients known as sympathomimetic amines. What does this mean and is it a bad thing?

Wow good question. I just googled it and it looks like it's some kind of prescription stimulant like super-strong caffeine or something. If that's the case, it likely comes with side effects

Comment

It's a category of stimulant drugs. Adipex is in it. It stimulates the central nervous system to speed up the heart rate. The side effects that most people use it for are appetite shrinking and speeding up the metabolism. But it's a prescription type drug because it can cause heart issues and a lot of other side effects, especially if it's not used by the right person or in the right way. They're also very addictive.

Comment

What MadMike said.The only thing that I would emphasize is that they are very addictive. While they are not an amphetamine, they do mimic them and as a result can be addictive. This is why you're not supposed to take drugs that contain this substance for very long and why they need to be prescribed by a doctor and why you should be monitored while you are on them. Usually you are gradually taken off the drugs and you don't stop them cold turkey to minimize the effects of withdrawal and/or withdrawal symptoms.

Comment

How close are they to amphetamines?

Comment

Originally posted by KraftMan View Post
            How close are they to amphetamines?

From what I understand they're really close. The effects of sympathomimetic amines are close, if not identical, to the effects of amphetamines. This is why you should never take any drug containing sympathomimetic amines unless it has been prescribed by your doctor and your doctor is monitoring you while you take them. I would say, regardless if a diet drug with this substance works positively for you or not, you can expect to experience some unpleasant side effects, even if you do everything right. I would also bet that the chances of experiencing withdrawal symptoms are pretty high. You can't expect to take potent drugs that mess with your central nervous system and not expect some repercussions from that.

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post

From what I understand they're really close. The effects of sympathomimetic amines are close, if not identical, to the effects of amphetamines. This is why you should never take any drug containing sympathomimetic amines unless it has been prescribed by your doctor and your doctor is monitoring you while you take them. I would say, regardless if a diet drug with this substance works positively for you or not, you can expect to experience some unpleasant side effects, even if you do everything right. I would also bet that the chances of experiencing withdrawal symptoms are pretty high. You can't expect to take potent drugs that mess with your central nervous system and not expect some repercussions from that.
              YOu know, I have to say that your answer was really good and probably really accurate but after reading it I feel like I need a nap haha. Are those S. Amines legal? I don't think amphetamines are legal anymore. I think they used to be before hte FDA or something like that like a hundred years ago. So is this the new version of those or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Bethie View Post

YOu know, I have to say that your answer was really good and probably really accurate but after reading it I feel like I need a nap haha. Are those S. Amines legal? I don't think amphetamines are legal anymore. I think they used to be before hte FDA or something like that like a hundred years ago. So is this the new version of those or something?

Haha, well, if you ever find yourself having trouble sleeping just read my paragraph and you should have no problem falling asleep!

On a more serious note, sympathomimetic amines are legal. That said, I don't personally think they are safe. I honestly feel like they are the synephrine of the drug world. You know how ephedra was banned so everyone jumped on the synephrine band wagon...the stimulant that's like ephedra but now? Synephrine can legally be included in supplements...but research is finding that it can be pretty bad for you, too. Bottom line, just because it's legal doesn't mean it's safe.

Comment

Working...
                X