Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you still exercise even if you are injured?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you still exercise even if you are injured?

A friend of mine hurt his shoulder from working out and he's insisting that he should still exercise his shoulder. I think he should rest it and let it heal. I think if he keeps exercising as he is, he's only going to make it worse. Should he quit his workouts that involve his shoulder until it is fully healed or should he keep exercising it?

If your friend has injured his shoulder, I think he should quit the shoulder exercises for a while or any type of weight lifting to allow the injury time to heal. He may also want to visit the doctor if it is really bad. Depending on the damage that has been done, he may require physiotherapy to help re-strengthen whatever has been damaged. In other words, certain exercises can be beneficial for recovering from injuries, but they should be prescribed by a professional. Otherwise, you can make it worse.

Comment

If it's a really mild injury, just rest it and do the rest of the exercises that don't require the use of the shoulder. If it's anything other than that, your friend really needs to talk to a doctor because there are a lot of different kinds of injuries and making some of them worse could be very bad.

Comment

I would tell your friend to see their doctor. I wouldn't keep exercising. He could end up hurting himself more.

Comment

Originally posted by PamelaPoison View Post
          If it's a really mild injury, just rest it and do the rest of the exercises that don't require the use of the shoulder. If it's anything other than that, your friend really needs to talk to a doctor because there are a lot of different kinds of injuries and making some of them worse could be very bad.

I agree with PamelaPoison. If it's only a minor injury, resting it should be enough to heal it. When it feels better, he should begin exercising the area again slowly and rebuild his strength and no overdo it. But if the injury is quite painful and doesn't seem to be getting better after a couple of days, especially when not being used, definitely go so the doctor.

Comment

Originally posted by JennyR View Post
            I would tell your friend to see their doctor. I wouldn't keep exercising. He could end up hurting himself more.
            That is the best idea. Even if it seems to be a minor injury, the last thing that you want to do is make a judgment call and end up turning it into a major injury. When it comes to muscles and joints, it's hard to tell a sprain from a strain and a pull from a tear. Don't mess around with your body's signals when you can't be sure what they are. Let a professional help you out and tell you what you should be doing.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Your line of thinking matches my own. I'm going to let him know I'm not the only one who thinks he's nuts to keep exercising!

Comment

Working...
              X