Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much physical activity do you actually need to lose weight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much physical activity do you actually need to lose weight?

I'm curious if anyone know how much physical activity a person needs to do to lose weight. I can admit that I'm not really someone who looooves exercising so the less I do the happier I am. At the same time, I get that a 10 minute stroll around the block isn't going to do much for trimming your waistline or your health. Essentially I want to know what I have to do, how much of it I have to do and how long I have to do it in order to lose weight. I'm interested in gradual weight loss, I don't believe in any diet plan that leads to quick weight loss because those results never last. Also, I'm not looking for any hardcore workouts, just something realistic and manageable.

That really depends on how much you want to lose. That said if you are looking to lose weight gradually, remember that you need to burn more calories than you consume. It's not just about exercise, it is about watching what you eat. That said, I would recommend doing a brisk walk for at least a half hour a day and engaging in some strength training exercise to build up your muscle. Essentially you're looking at a minimum of an hour a day.

Comment

As a rule of thumb, you should do about 30 minutes of cardio most days of the week. But what you do depends on your fitness level, so you have to find out what you can do for 30 minutes

Comment

Originally posted by Drew View Post
        As a rule of thumb, you should do about 30 minutes of cardio most days of the week. But what you do depends on your fitness level, so you have to find out what you can do for 30 minutes

Drew's right. It really depends on your fitness level. Find out what your body can handle and take it from there. That said, exercising any less than 30 minute isn't going to do much for weight loss. You really need to move it you want to burn fat. A 10 minute power walk a day really isn't going to cut it.

Comment

If you are looking to lose a lot of weight, I wouldn't recommended anything less than an hour for exercise. This doesn't mean you need to do cardio for the full hour. Do cardio for half and strength training for the other half, for example. Choose exercises that will fit easily in with your lifestyle, that you find interesting and that won't be difficult to do yet still provide your body with some challenge. You can do lots of activities even while you watch TV. For instance, if you really are not someone who likes to go out for daily walks, invest in a treadmill and you can walk or jog while you watch your favorite show!

Comment

OK, thanks. I think I will start with 30 minutes a day and work my way up from there. I think I like the treadmill and TV idea. I really have no desire to take walks outside by myself because i find that to be very boring.

Comment

Working...
            X