How many pounds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many pounds?

Hi! I am going 2 start lifting weights & i was wondering if anyone could tell me what size dumbell weights i should start with. I dont want to hurt myself but i also want a bit of a challenge. Thank u!

If you've never lifted weights before, I'd suggest starting with 2 pounds and working your way up from there.

Comment

It all depends on how strong you already are. The best way for you to know is to talk to a personal trainer. The second best way is to find out what moves you intend to do with the weights. Once you know that, go to the store and actually try to do the move. You should be able to comfortably do 8 reps, but by the 8th one, it should be getting pretty challenging. That way, you have room to be able to challenge yourself with a set of 8 reps, but as you grow your muscle then you can boost the number of sets that you do. So you can then grow to two sets of 8 and then beyond that. It's all about listening to what your body is telling you. If you tell your body what you want from it, you ask it what it is capable of doing, and then you listen to its response when it provides you with the answer, then you will be able to make the right choices. Make sure that once you know what the answer is, you respect what your body has told you. Then you will also avoid hurting yourself and you will always make the best progress.

Comment

You can save money by starting with a couple of water bottles (filled). A filled disposable water bottle weighs about a pound and a quarter. That can be your starter weight so you don't need to buy heavier ones until you're stronger.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnie View Post
          You can save money by starting with a couple of water bottles (filled). A filled disposable water bottle weighs about a pound and a quarter. That can be your starter weight so you don't need to buy heavier ones until you're stronger.
          That's a great tip Bonnie! I think I'm going to to follow it. I really love it when you can avoid dropping a lot of money on equipment when you are just starting out with something, want to take it slow, and haven't quite figured out what works for you. Thanks!

Comment

I started with 2 pounds, that's pretty safe, especially if you are doing proper exercises. That said, Bonnie's idea is a good one too, if you don't already have weights.

Comment

Envirotodd, i think im going to hire u as my personal trainer & nutritionist. How do u know so much stuff!! Bonnie thank u 4 the water bottle suggestion.

Comment

I agree with Bonnie. Start with something lightweight and easy like a filled water bottle and go from there. Just make sure that you are performing the exercises correctly. This is as important as choosing the right size weight.

Comment

Another tip to keep in mind is once you find the weights you like, stick with them for a while before adding more weight. It's important to make sure your body is accustomed to them before you move on. Also, give your muscles the time they need to rest and recouperate after exercises. They need to heal before you challenge them again, for best results.

Comment

Working...
                  X