snow walking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• snow walking

This is probably a dumb question but I’m going to ask it anyway just because I’ve been wondering it for a while. If you walk in the snow but you don’t go as far, do you burn as many calories? It’s such a difficult way to walk I would think that you’d burn more calories that way.

That's a really good question and I've been wondering the same thing myself. Personally, I don't know if you would burn as many calories but I would think that walking when snow is a struggle does cause more calorie burning. It only makes sense that if it takes more effort from your body to do it, it should take up more energy, right?

Comment

I think you do burn more calories trudging though the snow, but the drawback is that you typically walk a lot less in the winter and, if you're anything like me, you end up eating a lot more fat LOL.

Comment

While you do burn more calories when you have to put in more effort when you move, I don't think you'd burn as many as you would if you walked for farther at a rapid pace. Essentially, the way I look at it is if you want the same distance in the snow as you would without snow, you'd burn more calories walking in the snow, but otherwise you don't. I could be wrong, but that's how it makes sense to me.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I really felt that it would be possible to walk less in snow as long as it was really challenging and still get the same workout but it’s really hard to gauge that sort of thing. I wonder how much snow walking you have to do to be the equivalent to regular walking.

Comment

Originally posted by Bethie View Post
            Thanks everyone. I really felt that it would be possible to walk less in snow as long as it was really challenging and still get the same workout but it’s really hard to gauge that sort of thing. I wonder how much snow walking you have to do to be the equivalent to regular walking.
            have fun out there!

Comment

Originally posted by Bethie View Post

Probably more than you want to do LOL

Comment

Working...
              X