pain when I don't do workouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pain when I don't do workouts

I feel like a weirdo asking this question but I really want to know the answer. I have been exercising nearly every day. About 6 days a week. I’m really proud of that. All week long I feel great. But then when I take the day off on Sundays, my body hurts. My muscles and joints ache and I feel like I’m a hundred years old. Then when I start exercising again on Monday, I don’t feel pain anymore. I feel good. Is something going on there? Should I stop resting one day a week? I thought that was important for muscle health and things.

That is strange. It doesn't really make sense that you should be feeling pain when you're not exercising, especially if your body is used to moving those muscles. It sounds like when you're not lubricating your joints your getting stiff. What are you doing on those days? Are you not moving around much? If you're sitting for long periods of time, that could be the problem. Another issue may be that you're not doing your other workouts properly or you're putting too much stress on your joints when you're exercising. Wearing proper shoes is important.

Comment

It sounds to me like you're not moving your body enough on the day you're not exercising. While you shouldn't have to do any cardio on that day. You may find it useful to engage in some stretching. I bet that will help to unstiffen your joints

Comment

I don't think it's anything to worry about Bethie. I go through the same thing sometimes. I think it's a combination of things. When you have your day of rest, you're definitely not moving and working the same muscles that you do throughout the week so you're stiffening up. This stiffening is made worse by getting older and also by the changing climate. I'd suggest that even if you're not going to be doing your regular exercising on your "day off" you should still concentrate on moving around. Don't sit for long periods of time, stretch and go for a walk. You'll likely find you won't have the pain problem anymore after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post
          I don't think it's anything to worry about Bethie. I go through the same thing sometimes. I think it's a combination of things. When you have your day of rest, you're definitely not moving and working the same muscles that you do throughout the week so you're stiffening up. This stiffening is made worse by getting older and also by the changing climate. I'd suggest that even if you're not going to be doing your regular exercising on your "day off" you should still concentrate on moving around. Don't sit for long periods of time, stretch and go for a walk. You'll likely find you won't have the pain problem anymore after that.
          I can’t believe that I’m about to agree with Speeddemon again, but I am. That’s exactly right in my opinion. You’re used to moving your muscles and joints but you’re taking a day off and that gives them time to heal up at the same time that you’re being idle so you’re stiffening up. It might be a good idea to do something like yoga or stretch (like Speeddemon said) on the days that you don’t do your workouts.

Comment

I knew you'd eventually see things my way, eT But, yeah, honestly Bethie, that's all it is. I mean, if eT and I can agree on something (and both of us are always right - just ask us) there's your answer

Comment

Thanks! I think I'll have to look into it a lot more. I hate going to the doctor's but if this keeps up that's exactly what I'll have to do. I hope it's just nothing.

Comment

I really think it is nothing Bethie, but of course it never hurts (ok except perhaps in your case ) to keep an eye on it. I hate going to the doctor's too, but it's always better to have something checked out, especially if it's worrying you a lot. Peace of mind is always worth a doctor's visit

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post
                  I really think it is nothing Bethie, but of course it never hurts (ok except perhaps in your case ) to keep an eye on it. I hate going to the doctor's too, but it's always better to have something checked out, especially if it's worrying you a lot. Peace of mind is always worth a doctor's visit
                  You're right. I know you are. I think I probably knew that deep down but I was looking for an easy way out of it. If it keeps up, that's what I'm going to do. Thanks.

Comment

Glad to hear it. By the way. How have things been going? Have you found the pain to be any less if you stretch and do a bit of walking on your "break" day?

Comment

Working...
                    X