What does Pilates do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does Pilates do?

I’m trying to create my workout routine and I do like pilates but what category is it in? Yoga? Strength training? It doesn’t seem like either of those.

I agree with you. I think it's in a category all its own because it combines a variety of exercises including strength training and yoga-ish poses. That said, I think for the most part it is actually a form of strength training that uses your body as the training weight.

Comment

Originally posted by TracyK View Post
      I agree with you. I think it's in a category all its own because it combines a variety of exercises including strength training and yoga-ish poses. That said, I think for the most part it is actually a form of strength training that uses your body as the training weight.
      That's how I see it, too. I'd mainly consider it in the same category of yoga, but you definitely get a bit of strength training out of it, too. So I wouldn't let it replace strength training, but I would still let it count.

Comment

Pilates is like combination yoga/strength training. That said, it is more like Yoga than strength training in my opinion. The major difference between it and Yoga is that Pilates places emphasis on your core - your abdomen, lower back, obliques, inner and outer thighs, butt, etc. Pilates exercises give you strength, flexibility, muscular endurance, good posture, cordination and balance and it does this with a much lower risk of injury compared to other exercises. On the whole I feel like combining Pilates with cardio is a great way for the average person to get in shape, tone their body and improve their overall balance, flexibility and strength. What can I say...I like Pilates lol

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post
          Pilates is like combination yoga/strength training. That said, it is more like Yoga than strength training in my opinion. The major difference between it and Yoga is that Pilates places emphasis on your core - your abdomen, lower back, obliques, inner and outer thighs, butt, etc. Pilates exercises give you strength, flexibility, muscular endurance, good posture, cordination and balance and it does this with a much lower risk of injury compared to other exercises. On the whole I feel like combining Pilates with cardio is a great way for the average person to get in shape, tone their body and improve their overall balance, flexibility and strength. What can I say...I like Pilates lol
          Thanks for explaining this, Speeddemon ! I didn't actually know all that. I didn't know you liked Pilates, either haha. Should we join a class?

Comment

Originally posted by Bethie View Post

Thanks for explaining this, Speeddemon ! I didn't actually know all that. I didn't know you liked Pilates, either haha. Should we join a class?
            Sure, no problem. Hahaha. Why not? I haven't been to a fitness class in years. Tuesday nights work for you?

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post

Sure, no problem. Hahaha. Why not? I haven't been to a fitness class in years. Tuesday nights work for you?
              I can believe that you haven't been to a fitness class in years. You're too busy flirting with Bethie on this forum for that

Comment

Working...
              X