Can you eat cloves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you eat cloves

I really like cooking with cloves, but mostly I just add them to things for flavor and then take them out. I don't typically ingest them. Can you eat cloves or should you? Or do you get most of the health benefits from them by letting them soak in stuff but not actually eating them?

You can...but you probably won't like the flavor or texture. The do add a lot of flavor to stuff but aren't typically ingested. If you want to really eat them I would suggest girding them into a powder like you would for a cinnamon stick, for example. The health benefits should be the same.

Comment

Do you mean whole cloves? I don't think that would be good at all. Ground is something else. Maybe try ground cloves or use a mortar and pestle on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Whirlybird View Post
        Do you mean whole cloves? I don't think that would be good at all. Ground is something else. Maybe try ground cloves or use a mortar and pestle on them.
        I agree. The idea of eating a clove is like eating a whole pepper corn...ground it up if you want to eat it. Otherwise, if you cook with them whole, pick them out of the food you eat.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlotte View Post

I agree. The idea of eating a clove is like eating a whole pepper corn...ground it up if you want to eat it. Otherwise, if you cook with them whole, pick them out of the food you eat.
          Good comparison! That's exactly what I meant. I wouldn't want to eat a whole one of either of those.

Comment

Originally posted by Whirlybird View Post

Good comparison! That's exactly what I meant. I wouldn't want to eat a whole one of either of those.
            LOL makes sense! I thought it would be weird to do, but sometimes thing that you wouldn't think you can eat you actually can so I wasn't sure if it was just unpleasant or simply not good for you.

Comment

You could eat them whole...but it would be a taste bud nightmare.

Comment

Working...
              X