Looking for healthy salmon cooking tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for healthy salmon cooking tips

I’m looking for a good salmon recipe or healthy ways to prepare salmon. Essentially, I’ve only ever fried it or have mashed it up form a can. What other ways can you make it?

Get some salmon fillets with the skin on. get it filleted for you or you'll get stuck with bones to contend with and if you've never done that, then you'll be facing your worst nightmare. They say fresh tastes better, but frozen tastes pretty darned good if you ask me. I toss just a tiny bit of olive oil into a nonstick skillet so that the skin won't stick, and I cook it skin side down until you can see that it is cooked about 3/4 of the way through. Then, I just flip it and cook it the remainder of the way. That makes the skin amazing and crispy and gives it a great flavor without losing a lot of those healthy fats or moisture. Be careful of the ones that are cut from near the tail of the fish. They have a slim bit that cooks faster than the meatier part of it. Keep that closer to the edge (or push it up the side a bit) of the pan so that it won't dry out while you're cooking the rest through.

Comment

Wrap in foil with slices of orange and bake for a half hour. Toss in veggies like green beans or asparagus. Serve on rice.

Comment

OMG cook it in a pan and then when you serve, just put a sauce on it made from plain yogurt, fresh dill, and a touch of garlic. SO GOOD

Comment

Try poaching it. That's really tasty and very healthy for you. I usually have this dish with a side of kale and potato pancakes. Yum!

Comment

Try smoked salmon. No idea how to make it, but it's one of my favourites.

Comment

Originally posted by ChefMel View Post
              Wrap in foil with slices of orange and bake for a half hour. Toss in veggies like green beans or asparagus. Serve on rice.
              I tried your suggestion ChefMel, it was really good and very easy. That’s my kind of meal.

Comment

Originally posted by suzieQ View Post
                Try smoked salmon. No idea how to make it, but it's one of my favourites.
                I don't think you can make smoked salmon without either having your own smokehouse or having a smoke machine that is likely not something that the average person has in their kitchen. If you want smoked salmon, you just have to buy it made like that already. Most grocery store fish sections will have that. If not around the fresh section that it may have it in the freezer section. It's not as good when it has been frozen but it's not that different that you can't enjoy it. You can make a lot of recipes with that. Just don't take too much of it. It's extremely rich and you'll likely find that you will have had enough of it very quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by TeensyTiff View Post
                  Try poaching it. That's really tasty and very healthy for you. I usually have this dish with a side of kale and potato pancakes. Yum!
                  That sounds amazing...how do you poach it? In water like you poach an egg? I only know how to butter poach so that likely isn't the diet-friendly experience that you mean haha. I am really curious about this. Is it easy to do?

Comment

make a nice lemon sauce to go with it. Citrus goes so good with this because it's a fatty fish

Comment

Penny Thoughts - It is very easy to do. It's pretty much the same idea as poaching an egg. You'll need a skillet or suatee pan with a cover (preferably one that has it's own lid) but even foil will do, because you need to lock in the steam, that's how it cooks. All you need is about a cup of water. Heat the water in the skillet on a medium heat until it's simmering. Then you add the salmon (skin side down) Cover the pan and cook for 5 - 10 minutes or until it's done how you like it (times vary depending on the thickness of the salmon - the thicker it is, the longer it will take). Then you just serve it. If you want to give more flavour to the fish, you can add other ingredients to the water, such as white wine, lemon, lime, herbs, salt, pepper, etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X