Growing kitchen scraps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing kitchen scraps

I am really not ready to line up at the local garden centers that have opened. It's too late to grow things from seed. I know a lot of people grow things from their kitchen scraps. I used to grow carrot tops as a kid but that's really not all that useful. What are some of the cuttings I can use from what I buy at the grocery store to start up a nice veggie garden? Is it really worth it, or is the amount it produces really too limited?

There are some things that you can plant with success. Leeks, green onions, lettuce (hydroponic lettuce that is sold with the roots is best), any herbs that you can buy as a plant (so not pre-cut). Those are just some that I can think of off the top of my head and with which I've had success.

Comment

Celery, bok choy, cabbage, onions, pretty much any herb, potatoes, sweet potato and even pineapple are a few I've tried and had success with. Honestly, most stuff can be regrown in the right conditions. Typically you just need some good sunlight, warmth, and you need to be diligent about changing the water. Also, keep in mind that for the biggest success, much of this stuff, should eventually be planted in pots with soil so that they can really regrow and you can get the most out of them.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfMoon View Post
        Celery, bok choy, cabbage, onions, pretty much any herb, potatoes, sweet potato and even pineapple are a few I've tried and had success with. Honestly, most stuff can be regrown in the right conditions. Typically you just need some good sunlight, warmth, and you need to be diligent about changing the water. Also, keep in mind that for the biggest success, much of this stuff, should eventually be planted in pots with soil so that they can really regrow and you can get the most out of them.
        You've successfully grown a pineapple? How? You definitely got my attention with that one!

Comment

You can grow lots of kitchen scraps (as others have mentioned above). That said, you're going to want to plant them in soil at some point. You can't really grow them effectively using only water. They'll eventually die.

Comment

Originally posted by TaraNorth View Post
            You can grow lots of kitchen scraps (as others have mentioned above). That said, you're going to want to plant them in soil at some point. You can't really grow them effectively using only water. They'll eventually die.
            Some of my scraps have grown wonderfully in just water even over time. it depends on what they are, but they just keep producing for as long as they can. The key really is to keep adding fresh water every day. Every single day. So important. Also, don't let much of the plant sit in the water. Only the base. As little as possible while still giving it water. Otherwise it will start rotting and the stink is deadly to the human nose.

Comment

Wow! You guys are amazing. Every time I've tried to regrow kitchen scraps they die LOL. I'm really lacking in the green thumbs department. Outside or inside, they all die LOL

Comment

Originally posted by MeSarah View Post
                Wow! You guys are amazing. Every time I've tried to regrow kitchen scraps they die LOL. I'm really lacking in the green thumbs department. Outside or inside, they all die LOL
                HAHAHA you and me both. I swear any plant that sees me dies.

Comment

I'm having a lot of luck with green onions this year. I just keep snipping the green part. They started in water I was replacing all the time, but I've planted them in a tiny flower pot in my window. Whenever the shoots are big enough, I just snip them off to cook with. I'm thinking of doing the same with garlic, but I'm afraid it will stink. I'm not THAT afraid of vampires

Comment

Working...
                  X