Celery recipes needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celery recipes needed

I remember about a year ago, you couldn't get celery. This silly fad for celery juice combined with bad growing conditions made it so that it was hard to get and when you could get it, it was crazy expensive. Now, I'm a part of one of those farm box subscription programs and I get celery every week. I've been falling behind in putting it in my salad so now I have this backlog of celery and it just keeps coming every week! I don't want to throw it out and I don't have anyone I can give it to. Other than salads and eating it in sticks or like ants on a log, what can I do with it? I'm not making soups at this time of the year, so what else is there? I'm not really much of a fan of it, so whatever I do with it, the taste needs to be pretty mild. Any ideas?

Oh my gosh I forgot about that fad!! Honestly, I had no idea what else you could do with it beyond what you mentioned so I did a quick search online and apparently there are lots of recipes to turn it into relish and pickling it. You can also juice it and use it in stir fries.

Comment

Oh geeze ya! Celery was like $5.00 or something last year at this time LOL. I would honestly recommend just juicing it and maybe giving some of it away or requesting not having it every week LOL! Maybe even though you don't want soup now, start making some stocks or soups that you can freeze when you do want them.
      Last edited by TaraNorth; 07-07-2020, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TaraNorth View Post
        Oh geeze ya! Celery was like $5.00 or something last year at this time LOL. I would honestly recommend just juicing it and maybe giving some of it away or requesting not having it every week LOL! Maybe even though you don't want soup now, start making some stocks or soups that you can freeze when you do want them.
        IMO if you're going to juice celery, you may as well donate it to a little farm for their goats or pigs. Celery juice is essentially celery flavored water. You get rid of all the best benefits, particularly the fiber. If you don't want it, donate to a food bank, small farm or someone else who needs it.
        I guess celery doesn't freeze well?

Comment

Originally posted by MadMike View Post

IMO if you're going to juice celery, you may as well donate it to a little farm for their goats or pigs. Celery juice is essentially celery flavored water. You get rid of all the best benefits, particularly the fiber. If you don't want it, donate to a food bank, small farm or someone else who needs it.
          I guess celery doesn't freeze well?
          I agree that juicing it isn't really the best idea unless you really love celery flavored water. Adding it to smoothies may be a better option if you want to go the liquid route. That said, maybe if you have too much of it, when you pick it up from the farm, maybe remove it from the box before you take it home and just give it to them then so they already have it for their animals. If you have a delivery service, maybe request for them to take it out so it's not your problem and something you'll have to worry about wasting.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfMoon View Post
            Oh my gosh I forgot about that fad!! Honestly, I had no idea what else you could do with it beyond what you mentioned so I did a quick search online and apparently there are lots of recipes to turn it into relish and pickling it. You can also juice it and use it in stir fries.
            Seriously? A celery relish? Have you ever tried it? Is it good?

Comment

I tried it once at at BBQ and it was good. I know some people really love it on their burgers. It seems to be a popular summer thing.

Comment

Originally posted by suzieQ View Post
                I tried it once at at BBQ and it was good. I know some people really love it on their burgers. It seems to be a popular summer thing.
                Oh my gosh how have I not known about all these things you can do with celery? I really need to look into that because it sounds like a great way to make preserves out of something cheap and abundant.

Comment

Working...
                X