Kohlrabi idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kohlrabi idea

My friend had some extra veggie garden plants and asked me if I wanted them for my garden. Not one to say no to freebies, especially free food, I jumped on the chance and planted what she gave me back in June. Now everything is growing great and ready for harvesting, including the kholrabi. I'd never hear of this vegetable before she gave it to me and now it's ready for plucking and I have absolutely no idea what to do with it. Anyone eat this thing and is it any good?

Sounds like a lucky score! Veggie plants were hard to get this year.
    Kholrabi is almost all usable. Just cut it from its root to harvest it. cut the leaves off. if there are any brown ones, toss them. THe other ones can be rinsed and tossed in a pan in the same way you'd cook up some kale. In fact, if you mix it with kale, it's good. Treat the rest of it like a turnip. You can cut off the outer peel, then boil the center and mash it or, what I prefer is to cut it into little sticks and cook them in a pan. It makes like teensy little fries with a surprisingly good flavor.

Comment

Originally posted by brightstar View Post
      Sounds like a lucky score! Veggie plants were hard to get this year.
      Kholrabi is almost all usable. Just cut it from its root to harvest it. cut the leaves off. if there are any brown ones, toss them. THe other ones can be rinsed and tossed in a pan in the same way you'd cook up some kale. In fact, if you mix it with kale, it's good. Treat the rest of it like a turnip. You can cut off the outer peel, then boil the center and mash it or, what I prefer is to cut it into little sticks and cook them in a pan. It makes like teensy little fries with a surprisingly good flavor.
      Wow! That's so cool! I had no idea that the whole thing could be used I'm really excited to try it now! Thanks ;D

Comment

Working...
      X