Freeze fruits and vegetables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freeze fruits and vegetables

If you don't already do this, it's a good idea to freeze the fruits and vegetables you buy that you know you will not eat and you know will spoil. This is a great way to preserve their freshness so you can enjoy them at a later time. I do this with bananas all the time. Once they get a little too ripe for my taste I'll freeze them and make something out of them later like banana bread. You can freeze just about anything. It is a great way to reduce waste.

A good idea SuzieQ! I freeze lots of my leftovers so i dont waste any of them. I even freeze the excess foods from cans i don't need like when i open a can of red kidney beans 4 example. What i dont use i freeze.

Comment

That really is a good idea. You need to get a bit experimental about which ones freeze the best. I find that if you put them on a cookie sheet and freeze them, then dump them into a zipper bag, then they don't all freeze together into a clump

Comment

Really? Can you freeze anything? And it will still be alright? I can't even imagine freezing a banana. Wouldn't freezing it make it all weird and black?

Comment

Originally posted by TracyK View Post
          Really? Can you freeze anything? And it will still be alright? I can't even imagine freezing a banana. Wouldn't freezing it make it all weird and black?

It will turn it black but it won't make it weird. It's fantastic for making banana bread, muffins or other recipes that require a mushy banana.

Comment

You can freeze just about anything TracyK. What is important is if you are going to freeze something, remember that the sooner you freeze it the longer the freshness lasts once it's been thawed. Also, once the foods are thawed do not refreeze them, be sure to store them in the fridge and toss them after a couple of days if you haven't eaten them.

Comment

Working...
            X