Salad Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salad Ideas

Alright, I've got a question for all of you salad lovers out there. I'm not a fan of salad, and I especially don't like it when it is cold out. That being said, it is one of the only ways I know I'm obtaining the vegetables I need in a day and it's pretty easy to make. What salad recipes can I make that are tasty, healthy and go beyond a regular garden salad. Is there a way to make salad warm without the lettuce going all funky? Or can you use different types of greens. Also, are there any other dressing aside from vinaigrettes that are tasty and low in calories?

salad doesn't have to be cold. Steam a bunch of veggies instead of eating them raw, just enough that they are still crunchy but they are warm. Add some sesame seeds and almonds that you toast in a pan and they're great. I like doing that and cutting up a plum and putting that on top with a touch of balsamic vinegar. YUMMY!

Comment

If you're just making a cold salad, get experimental with your lettuce and your veggies. Instead of just using one type of lettuce, combine different types. In addition to the traditional tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, celery and radishes, try adding things like alfalfa sprouts, mushrooms, avocado, beans sprouts, snap peas, and, of course fruit. Just about any kind of fruit tastes good in salad, apples, berries, oranges, etc. Even dried fruit is good. Tree nuts are also a delightful way to make a salad exciting.

Comment

Try adding ramen noodles to your salad, you know the kinds that you can obtain in those inexpensive instant noodle packages? You can either cook them and add them to a hot salad like the one that Bethie suggested or you can eat them dry and add them to a cold salad. Just make sure you don't use the instant powder-flavoring mix if you do by the instant noodle packages because that stuff is loaded with sodium.

Comment

Bethie - Hmm, I never thought of adding plum to a salad before that actually sounds kind of good, as does the roasted almonds. I don't think I've ever cooked with sesame seeds. In fact, if they're not on a bun or a bagel I don't think I've ever eaten them lol.

M-Stark334 - Bean spourts and alfalfa sprouts...interesting.

Tracyk - ramen noodle huh? Never would have thought of doing that, but I'm intrigued.

Comment

Speeddemon, sesame seeds are really easy to work with and they add the nicest toasty flavor and texture to foods. I toast them up and sprinkle them on Asian stir fries, too, especially if I put the veggies on noodles or rice. YUM! (Also, they’re super cheap!)

Comment

Instead of lettuce, you can make a green salad that you cook using kale, swiss chard, rapini, or other greens that can be cooked up

Comment

Working...
              X