Edible flowers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edible flowers

I’m looking to create some dishes that will knock people’s socks off without adding fats and calories and sugars. So I thought it might be neat to add flowers to some of the things I serve. That will certainly be a conversation starter. Does anyone know what flowers are edible, what they taste like, and can you offer any recipes?

The one flower that I know is edible for certain are the flowers that grow on chive plants. They're a purple-pink color and add a little flare to salads. They have a very strong onion-spice taste however. If you like the taste of raw onion you'll likely enjoy this flower.

Comment

You know, I didn't know that you could even eat flowers before I read your post, Bethie LOL. I was intrigued by that and did a little research online and came across this site http://www.treehugger.com/green-food...u-can-eat.html which provides a list of flowers that are safe to eat and even tells you what type of flavor you can expect. I was stunned that there were so many! Based on what I read, edible flowers typically have a spicy or minty flavor. Should we ever meet I'll make sure to give you a bouquet of edible flowers LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post
        You know, I didn't know that you could even eat flowers before I read your post, Bethie LOL. I was intrigued by that and did a little research online and came across this site http://www.treehugger.com/green-food...u-can-eat.html which provides a list of flowers that are safe to eat and even tells you what type of flavor you can expect. I was stunned that there were so many! Based on what I read, edible flowers typically have a spicy or minty flavor. Should we ever meet I'll make sure to give you a bouquet of edible flowers LOL!
        AWWW Speeddemon, that's so sweet! If I thought that we were anywhere near each other, I'd agree, but I bet we're on other sides of the country...that and my best friend would kill me if I met someone I first met on a forum haha. But thank you SO much for the link. It's really helpful. It's going to be so much fun to serve those.

Comment

I'm curious, are the flowers more nutritious than the rest of the plant?

Comment

Originally posted by JokerzWild View Post
            I'm curious, are the flowers more nutritious than the rest of the plant?
            I don't think so. That said, I love adding flowers to food! They make everything so bright and happy Some of my favorite dishes include bright flowers. I recommend serving a dinner or appetizer to your guests that contains flowers. It will both impress them and it can sometimes freak them out...which is really funny haha!

Comment

Originally posted by Bethie View Post

AWWW Speeddemon, that's so sweet! If I thought that we were anywhere near each other, I'd agree, but I bet we're on other sides of the country...that and my best friend would kill me if I met someone I first met on a forum haha. But thank you SO much for the link. It's really helpful. It's going to be so much fun to serve those.

Bethie. You don't have anything to worry about. So you can tell your paranoid friend to put down her medieval weapons. Plus, do you really think I'm such a bad guy if I'm going to bring you edible flowers and open up a snacks shop with you All kidding aside, I'm glad you asked this question about edible flowers, because now when I meat a non-digital girl, I'll be able to really knock her socks off haha! Btw....do you happen to live in Philly? No reason

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post
                Bethie. You don't have anything to worry about. So you can tell your paranoid friend to put down her medieval weapons. Plus, do you really think I'm such a bad guy if I'm going to bring you edible flowers and open up a snacks shop with you All kidding aside, I'm glad you asked this question about edible flowers, because now when I meet a non-digital girl, I'll be able to really knock her socks off haha! Btw....do you happen to live in Philly? No reason
                You're so funny! You're right, though. If you brought a food lover a bouquet of edible flowers, that would probably be very romantic. Just make sure that you have a recipe in mind to put them in. Now that Iv'e tried a few, I've found that their flavors can be quite strong. They need to be put into something like a big salad. As funny as it would look, you really can't just bite the tops off a bouquet!!!
                No, I don't live in Philly ha ha! But I know where I would want to take my next vacation

Comment

I personally think it would be awesome if you just bit the tops off the bouquet. In fact, it should be done while you take before and after weight loss photo to make it even more awesome LOL. Great! Let me know when you plant to visit haha. I'll be sure to stock up on healthy snacks and flowers and we can party like it's 1999.

Comment

That would make a pretty good picture. If I ever lose my mind and decide to bite all of the heads off a bouquet, I’ll be sure to make a photo op out of it and post it on this forum

Gee, party like it’s 1999, huh? Did they eat a lot of flowers, that year? I’ll be sure to rush on over for my vacation

Comment

Working...
                    X