Sauerkraut - Is it good for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sauerkraut - Is it good for you?

The other day my friend was telling me how good sauerkraut is for you, but I just don't see it. While this sour cabbage is tasty, I tend to associate it with sausages and hot dogs, which aren't exactly the healthiest foods. Is she right? Is it actually good for you?

The answer isn’t really a yes or no thing. Yes, sauerkraut is healthful and it can help you to benefit from a lot of things, but it depends on the sauerkraut and it depends on what you’re eating with it. If you’re having it on a sausage with a white bun and the whole ballpark shebang, then you likely won’t get any benefit from it. But if you eat it on a whole grain toast or as a side for a healthy meal with steamed veggies, then you are doing something better for yourself. You should also know that there is a difference between raw sauerkraut that is amazing for you because of all of the probiotics it has to offer, and the stuff that you find on the shelf in your grocery store. Your typical grocery store version is shelf stable (doesn’t have to go in the fridge) and it has been boiled to seal it and keep it free of bacteria, mold, and all of that. That has also killed off all of the good bacteria, so it’s not nearly as good for you as if you get the stuff you find in specialty shops and organic stores that is raw and usually in a refrigerated section.

Comment

I bet the natural stuff (not sold in a jar as a garnish for sausages) is probably pretty good for you because I think it's just cabbage. But, if you're anything like me TeensyTiff, you might get gassy eating that stuff.

Comment

If you eat it home made or "raw" (not the usual grocery store kind), the fermentation should counteract any cabbage issues, especially if you eat it regularly to boost your probiotics

Comment

Thank you for all the answers! This makes a lot of sense. I was wondering how some people said it could be good for you when I had a hard time believing the stuff from the regular grocery store could have any benefit at all. I think I'm going to try some of that natural stuff. It sounds pretty good, anyway

Comment

Originally posted by TeensyTiff View Post
            Thank you for all the answers! This makes a lot of sense. I was wondering how some people said it could be good for you when I had a hard time believing the stuff from the regular grocery store could have any benefit at all. I think I'm going to try some of that natural stuff. It sounds pretty good, anyway
            You really should. It tastes way better and as far as I can tell it doesn't have as much salt in it. You'll like it

Comment

Working...
            X