What is the healthiest fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the healthiest fish

I want to start adding more fish to my diet. What is the healthiest kind of fish to eat? I always thought that if you're eating any kind of fish you're doing a good thing for yourself but then my friend told me that certain fish, like Talapia, doesn't actually provide you with much nutritional benefit. I'm so confused

I'm under the impression that hte most healthful fish to eat is salmon. Ya, talapia's got a bad rep

Comment

The healthiest fish are those that are high in omega-3 fats. These includes salmon, rainbow trout, sardines, oysters, Albacore Tuna. That said, even though these fish do have a good reputation for being the healthiest for you, it's important that you find out where the food you eat comes from. For instance, farmed salmon isn't nearly as good for you as wild-caught salmon. Lots of farmed fish (though not all) have a bad reputation for containing antibiotics, parasites and disease because of how they are kept. In other words, you can't just think that something is good for you without knowing its roots. Something else to keep in mind, some species of fish are endangered, like Tuna. While eating them may be good for your health, if they are hunted out of existence, nobody wins.

Comment

I think most wild caught red fish is good for you - primarily salmon and rainbow trout. Babybuttons is right that you do need to pay attention to where the fish comes from. Something else that you should keep in mind is that a lot of the fishes' nutrients is in its skin, which lots of people don't eat. So, another smart thing to do is find out which parts of the fish that you're eating are the best for you. In other words, don't just assume that all salmon is good for you or that eating any part of it will give you the health benefits you're looking for.

Comment

Cold water fish is the fattiest and fatty fish is the best for you

Comment

Thanks! This helps a lot. I'll be sure to do more thorough research into the fish that I eat.

Comment

are sardines healthy?

Comment

Sardines are healthy TinaDancer. They are an oily fish that is high in omega-3 fatty acids, which is good for lowering cholesterol among other benefits. They'are also a good source of Vitamin D and Vitamin B12. However, the major downside to sardines is that they are rather high in calories. A 1 ounce serving (usually 1 or 2 sardines) is 59 calories. Considering these are small fish and you'll likely eat more than an ounce per snack or meal, these calories can quickly add up. The other major drawback is that usually the primary way to obtain them is canned sardines. Canned sardines are high in sodium. So, yes, while they are good for you, I'd say they're a fish that's better to have in moderation, especially if you're eating the canned variety.

Comment

Ya, sodium is what I would probably have been worried about with canned

Comment

Working...
                  X