Low FODMAP diet book or recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low FODMAP diet book or recipes

Can anyone recommend a good recipe book or at least a few individual recipes for someone who is following a low FODMAP diet. I will have a guest over who is trying ot stick to that kind of diet because he believes he’s got either IBS or something like it. His digestion is just a mess so he’s trying to figure it out by going this route. I don’t know if it’s the right choice or not but I don’t have an option it’s what I have to give him in terms of food. I tend to be low-meat and high on veggies especially greens. That doesn’t jar too much with it but there are still a lot of areas in my cooking that don’t cross over properly. Some quick and easy recipes that don’t include hard-to-get foods would be helpful right now. Thanks guys.

If you think you should be on a low FODMAP diet, you might actually like the book Eat Dirt. It will go well with your way of thinking...just don't eat dirt haha

Comment

Okay, I'm going to ask the stupid question. What's a FODMAP diet?

Comment

a low FODMAP diet is one that is supposed to be easier for the body to digest. It's good for people with IBS and other digestive disorders. FODMAPs are types of sugar alcohols and short chain carbs that sensitive digestive systems struggle to process properly. They include fructose, lactose, sorbitol, mannitol and a number of others. I'm just wondering if choosing that type of diet might improve my digestive balance for even better nutrition.

I'm working hard to try to achieve the best balance of digestive flora without having to rely on supplements because they are far too expensive and I just can't tell if they're working.
        Last edited by enviroTodd; 07-09-2016, 01:06 PM.

Comment

You might want to check out a site called thehealthyapple.com It’s got a lot of great information about foods that you should avoid if you’re trying to follow a low FodMap diet and also provides lots of recipes. I know there are lots of sites out there that can provide you with info, I just happen to have a lot of respect for this one and I find it easy to follow and use. I’ve also learned a lot. I hope that helps and good luck in finding the diet that works for you! It really can be a challenge.

Comment

I recommend that you check out the book "The Complete Low FodMap Diet" by Dr. Sue Shepherd and Dr. Peter Gibson. It provides great information and recipes that yo can try. My friend has IBS and she swears by her low FodMap diet. If you don't like this book, there are tons of others that you can investigate. Just head to Amazon and search.

Comment

There are some also great free image charts online for low FodMap Diets. Head to Google images and you'll find tons of them that you might find really useful because you can always print it out and put it on your fridge. I tend to do that when I'm following a diet that limits what I can eat. By putting the list in my kitchen I always look at it before I make my meals to remind me of what I should and should not eat, which effectively gives me the kick in the pants that I need to make better food choices!

Comment

Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post
                There are some also great free image charts online for low FodMap Diets. Head to Google images and you'll find tons of them that you might find really useful because you can always print it out and put it on your fridge. I tend to do that when I'm following a diet that limits what I can eat. By putting the list in my kitchen I always look at it before I make my meals to remind me of what I should and should not eat, which effectively gives me the kick in the pants that I need to make better food choices!
                That's a very good idea, especially in a diet like this. Since it's an elimination diet that starts you off on very little and that gradually adds, you need to follow it precisely or you may as well not follow it at all. With a chart like what you're talking about, BabyButtons, it will help you to remember what is and is not allowed. It will also help you to track what you have introduced back into your diet again and how long you've been trying it with or without the return of your symptoms.

Comment

Exactly enviroTodd! It's really difficult to follow the ultra-strict diets when you don't have something to continually guide you in the right direction. Charts really do make a difference, especially at the start when you're learning what you can and cannot have. I mean how are you supposed to remember all that!!

Comment

I've never been successful with an elimination diet. I always start off with the best intentions and motivation, but then I cheat. I hate that!

Comment

I don't really think this kind of diet strategy makes sense unless you're trying to track and identify an actual specific problem. Otherwise, what are you watching for as you introduce new foods?

Comment

Working...
                      X