Mushrooms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mushrooms

Are mushrooms good for you? Are they a good diet food?

I think they are good for you. I think they are a good source of vitamin D. I like them raw and cooked.

Comment

Mushrooms (all different varieties) are quite healthy for you and contain vitamins and minerals. In addition to Vitamin D, like Charlotte pointed out, I know that Crimini mushrooms are a source of B vitamins. Mushrooms are also a good source of selenium (that's a really good anti-oxidant), potassium, zinc and magnesium. As for being a good diet food, they are low in calories. One cup of raw white mushrooms is only about 15 calories. So, yes, making this fungus a part of your diet is a good idea, in my opinion Just remember there are all different types!

Comment

Mushrooms are really good for you. The only other thing I would add in addition to what ChristySmiles says is that it's best to eat them fresh and raw if you want their top nutrients.

Comment

Originally posted by ChristySmiles View Post
          Mushrooms (all different varieties) are quite healthy for you and contain vitamins and minerals. In addition to Vitamin D, like Charlotte pointed out, I know that Crimini mushrooms are a source of B vitamins. Mushrooms are also a good source of selenium (that's a really good anti-oxidant), potassium, zinc and magnesium. As for being a good diet food, they are low in calories. One cup of raw white mushrooms is only about 15 calories. So, yes, making this fungus a part of your diet is a good idea, in my opinion Just remember there are all different types!
          What are the different types of mushrooms? I only know about the white ones.

Comment

What are the different types of mushrooms? I only know about the white ones.[/QUOTE]

Some of the mushrooms I know about, aside from the white variety are Crimini (brown) mushrooms, Portabella mushrooms, Shiitake mushrooms, Oyser mushrooms, King Oyster mushrooms, and Enoki mushrooms. Each of these are edible, but your'e unlikely to find some of them at your local grocery store. The ones I've seen the most are white, crimini, and portabella. I'm a total mushroom lover. I love how they taste (and they do taste different). They are very nutritious for you and are a great diet food.

Comment

I think my favorite way to use mushrooms for dieting reasons including health ones is to use a portobello mushroom instead of a hamburger patty. Just grill it or fry it in olive oil like you would a regular hamburger and use it the same way. Sprinkle a tiny bit of soy sauce on the inside (fibrous side) for enhanced flavor. I think teriyaki sauce would do the same.

Comment

I think that mushrooms are one of those foods that they tell you to eat if your zinc levels are low so I guess christysmiles is right and they contain that.

Comment

Working...
                X