Calcium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calcium

Where can you get a really good amount of calcium from food without drinking milk? I am trying to boost the amount I’m getting from food. I don’t want to supplement.

I think there are a lot of foods that contain calcium - spinach for example - but you have to eat a lot more of them.

Comment

Brightstar is right. There are lots of foods with calcium. Oranges actually have a lot of calcium. There is also calcium in other dairy sources aside from milk, such as yogurt and cheese. Broccoli is also high in calcium, as are almonds and canned salmon with the bone in. If you want to obtain the calcium from canned salmon you need to crush up the bone in the salmon, not throw it out, because that's where the calcium is.

Comment

You likely already eat a lot of calcium without knowing it. If you don't get enough calcium, you can always take a supplement. However, it's important that you don't take in too much calcium because this can lead to problems. Also, don't forget that eating calcium isn't enough. You need to also have vitamin D so your body can absorb the calcium you ingest.

Comment

JokerzWild has listed a lot of foods that are a great source of calcium. There are also products on the market where calcium has been added. If you really don’t like milk and you’re not wild about the other foods that are a good source of calcium, taking a supplement isn’t a bad idea (even though I know that’s not what you want). They come in all kinds of forms, from pills to chewable tablets.

Comment

U can get calcium from lots of foods. Just remember 2 get ur vitamin d 2! Vitamin d is important cuz it makes it possible 4 ur body 2 absorb the clacium u eat. Even if u dont want 2 take a calcium supplement u may still want 2 take a vitamin d supplement.

Comment

Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post
              U can get calcium from lots of foods. Just remember 2 get ur vitamin d 2! Vitamin d is important cuz it makes it possible 4 ur body 2 absorb the clacium u eat. Even if u dont want 2 take a calcium supplement u may still want 2 take a vitamin d supplement.
              This is a very good reason to try to obtain your nutrients through real whole foods instead of trying to supplement them all through pills. BabyButtons has shown that if you want calcium to absorb into your system then you can't simply just pop a calcium pill on its own. So it is far better to avoid tablets if you can. If you don't like drinking regular milk, you might consider almond milk or another product like that. This doesn't taste the same as regular milk and it is safe for people with dairy allergies. So if you're avoiding dairy for those reasons, you're still safe. But you'll still top up your calcium levels by drinking it and you'll still receive nutrition from an actual food product. With that and lots of dark green veggies, you'll likely do just fine.

Comment

Working...
              X