what's the scoop on fruit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's the scoop on fruit?

I know they’re full of nutrients but they’re also high in sugar. How much fruit should you be eating when you’re trying to stay healthy and lose weight?

I think the recommended amount is between 3 – 5 servings and I think it’s the equivalent to half a cup. To put that into perspective, a regular sized apple (so not a tiny one or a huge one) is a single serving of fruit. If you use fruit as your sugary treat instead of baked sweets, you should have no trouble at all keeping up with your weight loss goals.

Comment

Eat fruit instead of sweets. Like M-Stark334 has said, you’ll be fine if you consume 3 servings of fruits a day. The sugar you obtain from fruit is far better for you than sugar in cookies and other baked treats. Also, some fruit contains more sugar than others. Grapes, for instance are VERY high in sugar. It’s the difference between eating a small handful of grapes and a bowl of them.

Comment

Another thing I would add to this discussion is refrain from putting sugar on your fruit. Some people like to add sugar to their berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, etc.), particularly the frozen variety. Fruit already has enough sugar in it. It isn't necessary to add more. That said, I agree wit M-Stark334 and Firefly77. You'll be safe with 3 servings a day. Pay attention to the portion size. It's easy to gorge on certain fruits, especially small fruits that we typically eat more than one of.

Comment

Originally posted by ChristySmiles View Post
          Another thing I would add to this discussion is refrain from putting sugar on your fruit. Some people like to add sugar to their berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, etc.), particularly the frozen variety. Fruit already has enough sugar in it. It isn't necessary to add more. That said, I agree wit M-Stark334 and Firefly77. You'll be safe with 3 servings a day. Pay attention to the portion size. It's easy to gorge on certain fruits, especially small fruits that we typically eat more than one of.
          Fruit is sweet enough. If you don't like it on its own without sugar, buy a different fruit!

Comment

Fruit is nature's dessert. Mother Nature has already prepared it for you in the oven of her summertime. By adding sugar, you are only insulting her baking skills. Nature knows how things should taste. It's up to you to learn to accept them and experience them as they are.

Comment

That is so well put envirotodd!! U expressed that so well. Fruit is natures dessert. Have u ever gone fruit picking & plucked fresh fruit right off a bush or a tree? Mmmm its soooo delicious

Comment

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post
                Fruit is nature's dessert. Mother Nature has already prepared it for you in the oven of her summertime. By adding sugar, you are only insulting her baking skills. Nature knows how things should taste. It's up to you to learn to accept them and experience them as they are.
                “in the oven of her summertime”...oh eT where do you come up with this golden stuff? You are so poetic and clearly your biggest fan (BB) just loves it.

Comment

Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post
                  That is so well put envirotodd!! U expressed that so well. Fruit is natures dessert. Have u ever gone fruit picking & plucked fresh fruit right off a bush or a tree? Mmmm its soooo delicious
                  Thank you BabyButtons. I do pick your own all the time throughout the summer and early fall. I grow a lot of my own vegetables and herbs throughout those months, with a few inside during the winter. I miss it a lot during the winter. There's something that isn't as fulfilling from shopping at a grocery store. I still try to stick to as many farmers markets as I possibly can, especially when it comes to being able to find organics.

SD, some people can recognize an intelligently formed statement when it is made, and others simply wish to spread their negative energies.

Comment

I know what u mean about grocery stores! They have a good product selection but something about it just isnt as natural as when u buy it from farmers or you pick or grow it urself! Ive never tried growing my own herbs. Is it hard? Maybe Ill try that this year

Comment

Working...
                    X