Cold Brew Coffee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Brew Coffee

Ok so I always thought cold brew was a type of coffee you could only buy but not make it yourself. I thought it was some kind of special machine you'd need. Turns out, you can put coffee grounds in an infuser pot or in a French press and throw it in your fridge for 24 hours and there you have it. I can do that! This sounds like a fantastic way to get a bit of energy in the afternoon. I only wish I'd found this out at the start of the summer instead of now. Has anyone tried cold brew? What do you do with it? just drink it like iced coffee? Do you put in sugar and cream?

Would cold brew coffee and just brewing coffee, letting it cool and throwing it in your fridge be the same thing?

I would probably add sugar and milk to make it more of a dessert thing...I can't imagine drinking cold back coffee....

Comment

Originally posted by brightstar View Post
      Ok so I always thought cold brew was a type of coffee you could only buy but not make it yourself. I thought it was some kind of special machine you'd need. Turns out, you can put coffee grounds in an infuser pot or in a French press and throw it in your fridge for 24 hours and there you have it. I can do that! This sounds like a fantastic way to get a bit of energy in the afternoon. I only wish I'd found this out at the start of the summer instead of now. Has anyone tried cold brew? What do you do with it? just drink it like iced coffee? Do you put in sugar and cream?
      Cold brew is awesome and you can honestly drink it however you want it. I would suggest trying it like you like your usual coffee. Honestly, I've even had cold brew black and I like it. If you want it to taste more like a dessert style coffee like you'd get from Starbucks, then add some cream and sugar add a bit at a time and keep taste testing it until you find what you like.

Comment

Originally posted by TroyBurger View Post

Cold brew is awesome and you can honestly drink it however you want it. I would suggest trying it like you like your usual coffee. Honestly, I've even had cold brew black and I like it. If you want it to taste more like a dessert style coffee like you'd get from Starbucks, then add some cream and sugar add a bit at a time and keep taste testing it until you find what you like.
        I had no idea you could make this at home. Weird how it's easy to assume that you should just buy "specialty" stuff when you could make it for an eighth of the price and make it just exactly how you want it!

Comment

Originally posted by Bethie View Post

I had no idea you could make this at home. Weird how it's easy to assume that you should just buy "specialty" stuff when you could make it for an eighth of the price and make it just exactly how you want it!
          Me neither! I have no idea why it never occurred to me that I could hahaha. I always assume that coffee shops have special machines and ingredients needed to make what they sell which is why you can't make it at home, but it's not as complicated as I think hahaha. I'm definitely going to be making some cold brew this week.

Comment

Truth. I always tend to think that making stuff myself that I would usually buy is so much more complex and expensive than it really is. Cold brew is great. I also like my own homemade iced tea better, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post

Truth. I always tend to think that making stuff myself that I would usually buy is so much more complex and expensive than it really is. Cold brew is great. I also like my own homemade iced tea better, too.
              How do you make iced tea? Make a cup of tea and put it in the fridge?

Comment

Originally posted by brightstar View Post

How do you make iced tea? Make a cup of tea and put it in the fridge?
                Something like that. Essentially bring water to a boil, add the tea bags (I use orange pekoe for best results) and let it steep for a good 15 minutes. Remove the teabags (don't squeeze them, just remove them), add cold water to it and let it fully cool to room temperature and then stick it in the fridge. When you're ready to serve it, you can add sugar, lemon or mint (however you enjoy your iced tea). Here's a link to a basic recipe if you're interested https://www.finecooking.com/recipe/basic-iced-tea It gives you better instructions and measurements.

Obviously you can make any kind of cold tea brew that you want (herbal ones, fruit ones, etc.). Personally, I like the good old fashioned iced tea. It's probably my favorite summer beverage.

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post

Something like that. Essentially bring water to a boil, add the tea bags (I use orange pekoe for best results) and let it steep for a good 15 minutes. Remove the teabags (don't squeeze them, just remove them), add cold water to it and let it fully cool to room temperature and then stick it in the fridge. When you're ready to serve it, you can add sugar, lemon or mint (however you enjoy your iced tea). Here's a link to a basic recipe if you're interested https://www.finecooking.com/recipe/basic-iced-tea It gives you better instructions and measurements.

Obviously you can make any kind of cold tea brew that you want (herbal ones, fruit ones, etc.). Personally, I like the good old fashioned iced tea. It's probably my favorite summer beverage.
                  That's so easy! Why don't you squeeze the extra water out of the tea bags when you take them out of the pitcher? Should I stop doing that when I make regular hot tea, too?

Comment

That's so easy! Why don't you squeeze the extra water out of the tea bags when you take them out of the pitcher? Should I stop doing that when I make regular hot tea, too?
                    The reason it's best not to squeeze them is because that's where the bitter flavor comes from. I mean, if you like a bitter-tasting tea (iced or hot) squeeze those bad boys. If not, avoid squeezing. Just a little trick I learned.

Comment

Can the same be said about using a french press to make cold brew? Should the press be stopped at resistance or should it be pressed as hard as reasonably possible?

Comment

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post
                        Can the same be said about using a french press to make cold brew? Should the press be stopped at resistance or should it be pressed as hard as reasonably possible?
                        I think the best way to do it is to slowly push it down with resistance and not push it down in one go all at once. I believe this creates a better flavor.

Comment

Could you just make cold brew by chilling instant coffee?

Comment

Originally posted by PamelaPoison View Post
                            Could you just make cold brew by chilling instant coffee?
                            That's exactly what I was wondering! What's the difference between making coffee in a French Press or an infuser pot and just brewing coffee in the morning the good old fashioned way and throwing it in the fridge?

Comment

Working...
                            X