Tried to save money and now I'm drowning in hearty veggies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tried to save money and now I'm drowning in hearty veggies

OK, so food is so expensive right now so I tried to save money and bought all these squash, sweet potatoes, potatoes, rutabaga, turnip, cabbage, and other foods that last a long time, are pretty cheap and are high in fiber and nutrients and all that. Now that they're in my kitchen, I have no idea what to make. I can't just eat a whole plate of turnip, potatoes and squash. What should I be doing with all this stuff?

You can definitely make stews, soups and stirfrys with all that stuff.

Try making fries with the rutabaga and sweet potatoes (really very good!)

The squash you can also bake in the oven and stuff it with things like beans, sausage, other veggies, etc. to make a mini casserole (also very good!)

The other great thing is if you get to the point where your a little sick of squash, you don't have to keep eating it. As long as you store it in a cool dry place, squash can last for a long time.

Comment

In addition to what Janet suggested, there are also cabbage roles and adding some of those ingredients to pasta dishes.

Comment

You're definitely going to need more ingredients than just the ones you have but you can use them in the same way you'd use potatoes or sweet potatoes in a lot of cases, for a bit of new flavors.

Comment

Originally posted by brightstar View Post
          You're definitely going to need more ingredients than just the ones you have but you can use them in the same way you'd use potatoes or sweet potatoes in a lot of cases, for a bit of new flavors.
          Exactly. You've got yourself a bunch of great sides, now you just need the other elements to go along with it - meat, fish, beans and other veggies.

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post

Exactly. You've got yourself a bunch of great sides, now you just need the other elements to go along with it - meat, fish, beans and other veggies.
            That's nearly exactly what I was going to say! It's pretty much all set and ready for your protein when you have all that veg!

Comment

Working...
            X