Switching to brown rice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching to brown rice

I've been reading a lot about the nutrition in rice. I have always liked basmati best. I can't seem to tell if that's a good one for nutrition and gut health or if it's just another version of white rice. I've switched to brown rice for now. I'm not sure if it's my best option or not. I don't like it as much, but I'm giving myself the chance to get used to it. Is brown that much better than basmati?

I think that on the whole brown rice is better for you. That being said, I am not a fan of it at all. I've tried getting used to it and, honestly, it just made my meals miserable. Personally, I've just stuck to basmati and made sure that everything else I'm eating with it is awesome and nutritious, gut-friendly and all that stuff. If you can stick to brown rice, go for it, because every bit of nutrition counts, but if you find that you just can't deal with it at all or all the time, I really don't think having the rice you like best is a bad thing, especially when you're combining it with all other good stuff.

Comment

I think basmati is better than regular ol' white rice, but it's not better than brown. I don't really like brown rice...it's sort of harder and just altogether bleh. I find when I eat it, I actually add more flavoring to it than I do other types of rice, which pretty much negates the benefits of it. So, I just stick to the rice I like, and go nuts with the veggies.

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post
        I think basmati is better than regular ol' white rice, but it's not better than brown. I don't really like brown rice...it's sort of harder and just altogether bleh. I find when I eat it, I actually add more flavoring to it than I do other types of rice, which pretty much negates the benefits of it. So, I just stick to the rice I like, and go nuts with the veggies.
        Have you ever made brown rice in an instant pot? It comes out PERFECT! I couldn't stand brown rice before I tried that. The outside had a weird hardness to it, or if i cooked it longer, the whole thing came out as mush. But I made it in the instant pot and it's gorgeous! It's like they were meant to be together! I make it with water or broth, depending on the flavor I want. I can saute some onions ahead of adding the rice and liquid to make a fuller flavor, too. White rice comes out sticky in the instant pot, but brown rice...wow!

Comment

Ok so health-wise, it goes brown, basmati, white...got it. I should try it in an instant pot to see if I like it, I guess. This is probably a stupid question, but is there brown basmati rice?

Comment

Originally posted by KraftMan View Post
            Ok so health-wise, it goes brown, basmati, white...got it. I should try it in an instant pot to see if I like it, I guess. This is probably a stupid question, but is there brown basmati rice?
            I'm pretty sure there is. I don't know how common it is, but I imagine it exists. I don't have an Instant Pot, but I do have a rice cooker and I find brown rice comes out nice in that, too.

Comment

I forgot to mention that if you get the parboiled type, it takes a lot less time to cook it and it's less likely to have that awful hard part on the outside.

Comment

Originally posted by brightstar View Post

Have you ever made brown rice in an instant pot? It comes out PERFECT! I couldn't stand brown rice before I tried that. The outside had a weird hardness to it, or if i cooked it longer, the whole thing came out as mush. But I made it in the instant pot and it's gorgeous! It's like they were meant to be together! I make it with water or broth, depending on the flavor I want. I can saute some onions ahead of adding the rice and liquid to make a fuller flavor, too. White rice comes out sticky in the instant pot, but brown rice...wow!
                I'd never tried this before but I saw what you wrote and I tried it. You're right! I pushed the rice button until it said "more" since I guessed that "less" was likely parboiled white rice and "normal" was probably just regular white rice. It cooked perfectly. No hard part on the outside and it didn't come out mushy or sticky. It was beautiful! Thanks! Now I can switch to brown and be healthier.

Comment

Originally posted by brightstar View Post
                  I forgot to mention that if you get the parboiled type, it takes a lot less time to cook it and it's less likely to have that awful hard part on the outside.
                  How long does it take? Do you cook it with anything interesting, or just water?

Comment

Working...
                  X