Are water chestnuts nutritious?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are water chestnuts nutritious?

I just got a bag of mixed frozen veggies. It contains water chestnuts. Are those healthy vegetables? I’ve never really known much about them except that they come in the Asian veggie mix that I buy. Are they good for you?

Um...that's a good question. I've got an even better one. What are water chestnuts? LOL. OK, I feel a little lame for not knowing that that is but I'm not thinking it's actual nuts.

Comment

water chestnuts are an aquatic vegetable. They are white in colour and often used in asian cooking. I tend to eat them a lot in Chinese stirfrys. They do offer some health benefits like B6, riboflavin, potassium and they contain epicatechins, which are flavanoid antioxidants like those found in red wine and dark chocolae. However, while they are good for you they aren't really a superfood. So if you have them in your diet that's fine but there is no need for you to go out of your way to add them to your diet, if that makes any sense.

Comment

Originally posted by JennyR View Post
        water chestnuts are an aquatic vegetable. They are white in colour and often used in asian cooking. I tend to eat them a lot in Chinese stirfrys. They do offer some health benefits like B6, riboflavin, potassium and they contain epicatechins, which are flavanoid antioxidants like those found in red wine and dark chocolae. However, while they are good for you they aren't really a superfood. So if you have them in your diet that's fine but there is no need for you to go out of your way to add them to your diet, if that makes any sense.

Hey, thanks for all that information JennyR. I did a little research of my own into them and once I saw a picture of them I knew what they were. They taste really weird (not bad, but weird). I was surprised to find that while they are not bad for you, they don't really seem to be anything special either.

Comment

Working...
        X