Is lettuce nutritious?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is lettuce nutritious?

Do you get much nutrition from lettuce or is it mostly water? Is all lettuce created equal or are some types better for you than others?

This depends on the type of lettuce that you eat. There are many different forms. A rule of thumb (though there are some exceptions) is that the darker the leaf, the more the nutrients in it. Therefore, you’ll get a lot more out of romaine than you will from iceberg. That said, just because you get something like iceberg, which does have a relatively bad name in the lettuce world, it doesn’t mean that it’s not helping you. For example, iceberg lettuce is indeed high in water. Since most of us don’t hydrate enough, this is actually great news. Get your water through your food if you’re not getting it from a tall glass, several times per day. Next, even iceberg lettuce is high in fiber. This is wonderful for filling you up and preventing you from eating other calories in response to the hungry feeling. It also helps to keep you regular which is great to eliminate toxins and negative energies, but it is also good for keeping bloating down so that you don’t look bigger than you really are. So even the “worst” lettuce is still a healthy food.

Comment

I wouldn't say it's nutritious, but it's not bad for you.

Comment

I think it's got some benefits, but mostly isn't it just sort-of water?

Comment

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post
          This depends on the type of lettuce that you eat. There are many different forms. A rule of thumb (though there are some exceptions) is that the darker the leaf, the more the nutrients in it. Therefore, you’ll get a lot more out of romaine than you will from iceberg. That said, just because you get something like iceberg, which does have a relatively bad name in the lettuce world, it doesn’t mean that it’s not helping you. For example, iceberg lettuce is indeed high in water. Since most of us don’t hydrate enough, this is actually great news. Get your water through your food if you’re not getting it from a tall glass, several times per day. Next, even iceberg lettuce is high in fiber. This is wonderful for filling you up and preventing you from eating other calories in response to the hungry feeling. It also helps to keep you regular which is great to eliminate toxins and negative energies, but it is also good for keeping bloating down so that you don’t look bigger than you really are. So even the “worst” lettuce is still a healthy food.

I had no idea lettuce had that many benefits. I've always thought of it as kinda of a filler food that was sort of tasteless and watery like celery. It wasn't bad for you but it didn't offer you a whole heck of a lot of benefits either. Thanks for the info enviroTodd.

Comment

Romaine lettuce is the most healthy of all the lettuces you can buy. It is better for you than green leaf, red leaf, iceberg and butterhead. It has more potassium, lutein, beta carotene and folate than the others.

Comment

That's interesting, MeSarah! I didn't know it was the most nutritious. I just knew it was more nutritious, not THE most nutritious

Comment

Thanks for all of the information. I really didn't know lettuce how nutritious lettuce was. Thanks for the information about romaine lettuce MeSarah. I'm glad that's my favorite one and the one I tend to buy the most.

Comment

Working...
                X