Has anyone heard of Kohlrabi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone heard of Kohlrabi?

Hi everybody! I hope everyone is having a great & positive week! I recently came across a vegetable called Kohlrabi which is supposed 2 be 1 of the healthiest vegetables in the world. Does anyone know anything about it? Where u can get it & how healthy it is? Thank u!!

I've only heard of kohlrabi by watching cooking shows. I have seen it prepared a few times on television but I haven’t taken the time to research it until now. But for you, BabyButtons, of course I looked into it! Here is what I found:

It looks like a kind of green bulb with clipped stems coming off of it, when it is sold in stores. You’re supposed to peel the two outer fibrous layers off of it because those layers won’t cook down and become soft enough to eat. So it may look like you’re buying something big, but the inside that you can eat is actually surprisingly small, comparatively. You can serve it raw or cooked. It’s often just chopped up raw and tossed into salads and slaws. Apparently it tastes somewhat like a milder, sweeter version of the stem of a broccoli (which I happen to like when it has been peeled).

Comment

I've never heard of that before but it sounds really good. Is it sold in regular grocery stores? I'll be keeping my eyes open for it but I've never noticed it before.

Comment

I think it's only available in ethnic or specialty stores. It's not something the average local grocery store would sell. I guess the only chance of it possibly appearing in a local store is if you lived in a big city and kholrabi was in season.

Comment

Originally posted by brightstar View Post
          I've never heard of that before but it sounds really good. Is it sold in regular grocery stores? I'll be keeping my eyes open for it but I've never noticed it before.

I've never heard of it before, either. Thanks for saying what it tastes like enviroTodd. I don't know if I've ever eaten the stem of a broccoli. I've always just ate the tops and threw out the rest. Oops, apparently, I've been wasting a lot of broccoli for most of my life
          Last edited by suzieQ; 02-16-2015, 05:35 PM.

Comment

I've heard of it, but I don't think I've ever seen it in a local food store, at least not in any where I live. I'd say that this is definitely a specialty item and unless you happen to know where to find it in your area, realistically, you might want to consider choosing another super healthy vegetable that is easier (and likely cheaper) to access instead.

Comment

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post
              I've only heard of kohlrabi by watching cooking shows. I have seen it prepared a few times on television but I haven’t taken the time to research it until now. But for you, BabyButtons, of course I looked into it! Here is what I found:

It looks like a kind of green bulb with clipped stems coming off of it, when it is sold in stores. You’re supposed to peel the two outer fibrous layers off of it because those layers won’t cook down and become soft enough to eat. So it may look like you’re buying something big, but the inside that you can eat is actually surprisingly small, comparatively. You can serve it raw or cooked. It’s often just chopped up raw and tossed into salads and slaws. Apparently it tastes somewhat like a milder, sweeter version of the stem of a broccoli (which I happen to like when it has been peeled).

aww thanks envirotodd. I was hoping u would because ur good at finding stuff out Yum! I like the stem of the broccoli 2. Actually I am 1 of those weird people who like the stem better than the trees lol. Have u heard of any other really rare & healthy veggies that are supposed 2 be really good 4 u?

Comment

Working...
              X