Yogurt bacteria?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yogurt bacteria?

I know that probiotics are good for me for digesting and all that. Is there a right way to know if the yogurt I’m eating has them?

Hi TinaDancer, that's a good question and one I've had myself. It's certainly not easy to tell which yogurt products in stores are best in terms of providing probiotics. I did a bit of research into it a while back and learned that there are something like six live and active probiotic cultures that you can look for in the ingredients list on a yogurt product label. Some of the names you'll want to check for include: Bifidus, Streptococcus thermophilus, Lactobacillus, Lactobacillus bulgaricus, Lactobacillus acidophilus and Lactobacillus casei. Each of these are porbiotics. If you find them among the ingredients, there's a good change the yogurt has the good stuff you're looking for

Comment

As long as the stuff growing in your yogurt isn't green and fuzzy, you're doing fine HAHA

Comment

• JennyR
        JennyR commented
        Editing a comment
        I love your kitty avatar! Is that your cat?

I agree with M-Stark334. You just got to read the ingredients. You might find doing some research on the yogurt brands you particularly like to be helpful as well. Sometimes, the labels really don't provide you with everything you need to know. You may also want to think about choosing yogurts that have low sugar. This is also better for your health and your gut.

Comment

Thanks M-Stark334! I just went to the supermarket and I got a plain type with Lactobacillus acidophilus. I added some mashed up strawberries and mixed it in and it tastes amazing. I feel like I'm doing something very healthy and it doesn't have that weird sugar aftertaste. Every time I have it, I feel like I'm doing something great for myself. I agree, with you and JennyR that it's all about the ingredients.

Comment

• M-Stark334
          M-Stark334 commented
          Editing a comment
          You're welcome! I really enjoy putting fruit in my yogurt, as well. I even like the way my mouth feels after. It really does feel like you're doing something good for your body doesn't it? I'm glad you've found something that works for you

JennyR - Thanks for the pic compliment! No, it's not my cat. It's just a cute pic I found online. There's not enough allergy pills in the world for me to have a real cat haha

Comment

Working...
        X