Rye vs sourdough bread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rye vs sourdough bread

I’m trying to find a new kind of bread that will be healthful to eat but that isn’t full of hard seeds. I still like breads with seeds, but I’m hoping to use something a little more “traditional” for a few recipes. Does anyone know which is better for you, rye or sourdough? I’ve heard pros and cons for both and I’m not certain as to which I should prefer.

I would definitely choose sourdough. It's got a lot of benefits, many of which you probably already know, but I'll list a few anyway. It's easier to digest, it typically doesn't spike blood sugar becuae it has a low GI, it increases healthy gut bacteria, and - best of all - it tastes great! haha

Comment

I'd have to say rye. I really don't like the taste of sourdough haha

Comment

I think they each have their own advantages and drawbacks so it's more a matter of what you're looking to gain from eating them and not as much which one is better for you as a whole. They do both have good and bad sides so ask yourself: what are you hoping to get out of them? WHen you know that, then you can decide which one fills that better.

Comment

my vote's for sourdough!

Comment

I think sourdough is the better one when you compare it to rye bread. However, I agree with the babybuttons about the taste. I personally can't get past it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bethie View Post
              I think they each have their own advantages and drawbacks so it's more a matter of what you're looking to gain from eating them and not as much which one is better for you as a whole. They do both have good and bad sides so ask yourself: what are you hoping to get out of them? WHen you know that, then you can decide which one fills that better.

Well said, Bethie. When it all comes down to it, all that matters is which bread you actually prefer and you think is better. Your opinion about what you put in your body is really the only one that counts.

Comment

Thanks Speeddemon. I also find that it's important not to take the idea of healthful foods too far. Otherwise you just won't enjoy foods anymore. I went through a fad of eating nutty healthy foods all the time and felt great about it but it finally faded out. The reason is that it can't continue forever. Your taste buds will win out eventually! Part of the importance of food - and a very healthful part of it - is in the enjoyment of eating it. If you eat only the most perfectly nutritious foods but you don't really enjoy it to its full extent, you're actually missing out on some important health benefits. In fact, it's been shown in studies that if you skip out on the sweet, salty, bitter, sour and umami that we like the most, there are physical and mental health disadvantages. In particular, you won't be as satisfied by your meal so your hunger will come back faster! So sometimes, when you're debating between two healthy foods, just pick the one you like more!

Comment

Working...
                X