Flavonoids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flavonoids

I'm trying to learn more about flavonoids. I understand that they are an important component of nutrition and I know they can be obtained in a very large way through seabuckthorn - particularly the tea made from its leaf and in a much more concentrated form in sea buckthorn matcha. That said, I'm finding it challenging to find out just what flavonoids do in the body. Can anyone explain this to me? I feel that it's something important but I just haven't managed to lay my finger on it.

Good question. I don't really understand them either. I know they're technically a massive group of nutrients. There are something like 6,000 or more flavonoids.I think antioxidants are flavonoids, for example.I think they're good for heart health and are anti-inflammatories.So I don't really get what they are either, but if you get lots of them, it's good fo ryou haha.

Comment

They are really good anitoxidants and as KraftMan said they also offer the body anti-inflammatory health benefits. They are also supposed to have a positive effect on the nervous and cardiovascular systems. They can also support detoxification. Some research suggests that they can also help to reduce the risk of certain types of cancers. They're just really really good for you!

Comment

Essentially what ChristySmiles said is right eT. Essentially they increase the strength and the integrity of many of the body's systems including the nervous system, cardiovascular system and immune system. If you want to know more about how they function in the body and are good for you, as well as what research has found, I discovered this source http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...rient&dbid=119 which provides a pretty detailed look into flavonoids.

Comment

I'd never even heard of flavonoids before. Thanks for that extra info speeddemon. That's actually pretty interesting. As soon as I think I've figured out the way food works I find out that I barely know anything at all haha. I'm going to start looking into that more. That looks like an important part of nutrition.

Comment

It is an important part of nutrition. To be honest (and I'll only admit this to you Bethie) I didn't know as much about it before until eT asked about it. It was only when I researched it that I learned just how important it was haha. It's amazing what you learn when someone else asks a question Oh, and I've got a fall question for you. Do you like squash? If so, what's your favorite?

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post
              It is an important part of nutrition. To be honest (and I'll only admit this to you Bethie) I didn't know as much about it before until eT asked about it. It was only when I researched it that I learned just how important it was haha. It's amazing what you learn when someone else asks a question Oh, and I've got a fall question for you. Do you like squash? If so, what's your favorite?
              LOL I'm glad that's just a secret between us, Speeddemon and I'll never tell Envirotodd.I've actually learned a lot from posts here just from the questions other people have asked. That's why I've hung in there so long - and you of course haha. To answer your question, ya I like squash. I like butternut and acorn. You?

Comment

Originally posted by Bethie View Post

LOL I'm glad that's just a secret between us, Speeddemon and I'll never tell Envirotodd.I've actually learned a lot from posts here just from the questions other people have asked. That's why I've hung in there so long - and you of course haha. To answer your question, ya I like squash. I like butternut and acorn. You?

Thanks! I knew I could count on you to keep my secret lol I have to say that your presence has definitely improved this forum. It really was missing a cute baby pig on a strawberry! I like butternut, it's my favorite for sure. I'm a fan of the sweeter ones.

Comment

Working...
                X