Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to eat cranberries in a healthy way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to eat cranberries in a healthy way?

Cranberries are healthy but taste awful without a pound of sugar. Any work around?

Sure. The answer is to combine them with the right kind of sugar. Add cranberries to your smoothies with sweet fruits and you'll solve your problem

Comment

You could also try making cranberry sauce. Instead of using refined sugar to sweeten it you can use honey instead. I personally really like the taste and I feel like honey isn't as bad for me as sugar. I usually make this sauce at Thanksgiving and Christmas. Sometimes I even do it for myself for no reason at all because I really love the taste of it

Comment

Honestly Chefmel, I don't really think there is a way to eat cranberries in a healthy way if you want them to be sweet. You'll need to add sugar to them in some shape or form. If you're not someone who likes tart stuff, you might want to look for another healthy food instead of cranberries. I personally can't deal with how tart it is and by the time I do get it to a flavor I like, it's been spoiled with too much sugar. I find that even when I combine it with sweeter fruit it still doesn't cut the super tart flavor.

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post
          Honestly Chefmel, I don't really think there is a way to eat cranberries in a healthy way if you want them to be sweet. You'll need to add sugar to them in some shape or form. If you're not someone who likes tart stuff, you might want to look for another healthy food instead of cranberries. I personally can't deal with how tart it is and by the time I do get it to a flavor I like, it's been spoiled with too much sugar. I find that even when I combine it with sweeter fruit it still doesn't cut the super tart flavor.
          I find if I mix it with sweet fruit, it makes the sourness stand out even more. I'd probably just use a sugar alternative like agave or stevia or something

Comment

Originally posted by Bean View Post

I find if I mix it with sweet fruit, it makes the sourness stand out even more. I'd probably just use a sugar alternative like agave or stevia or something
            That's a smart idea Bean. One question though. Is Stevia safe?

Comment

Originally posted by Charlotte View Post

That's a smart idea Bean. One question though. Is Stevia safe?
              I don't think it is. a lot of people use it though

Comment

Originally posted by ChefMel View Post

I don't think it is. a lot of people use it though

No. Stevia isn't good for you. It has been linked to a lot of nasty side effects. It's not a good substitute for sugar, just like artificial sweeteners aren't. I would also recommend using agave. Even using a bit of regular sugar would be better than that.

Comment

Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post

No. Stevia isn't good for you. It has been linked to a lot of nasty side effects. It's not a good substitute for sugar, just like artificial sweeteners aren't. I would also recommend using agave. Even using a bit of regular sugar would be better than that.
                  That's precisely right, BabyButtons. Stevia has been given such a glorious reputation by people who are avoiding evil refined sugar and high fructose corn syrup (HFCS), but it has its own dark side that should be known by more people. It's really a substance that has been praised for all the wrong reasons. It's far better for people to look to raw honey, pure maple syrup or even agave nectar if they want to use a sweetener that doesn't include refined sugar or other similar substances. It's also important to realize that no sweetener on its own is good for you so use them sparingly.

Comment

Working...
                  X