Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does cold water help burn more calories?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does cold water help burn more calories?

I've been wanting to add additional things to my weight loss strategy to help boost my metabolism, so I can get the most out of fat burning, hence my reason for taking TrimThin. That said, I was wondering if drinking a full glass of cold water before meals will help not only to make me feel fuller faster but also speed up my metabolism. I read somewhere that drinking cold water specifically is good because your body has to heat it up to body temperature, which takes energy and burns more calories. Is this true?

I've heard conflicting things about drinking a full glass of water between meals. Some people say it will kill some of your appetite so you'll eat less, but other people say not to drink that much water before a meal because it dilutes your stomach acids so your digestion isn't as good and you don't get as many nutrients that you need. The thing about drinking cold water is a myth, i heard, because for the number of calories your body burns to warm up a glass of water, you'll never see anything change on the bathroom scale. It's really about the same as how many calories your body burns if you put on clothes in the winter when you get dressed in the morning. They're colder than you at first but then your body warms them up...and you still don't lose weight from it LOL So I guess it's probably just best to stay hydrated normally throughout the day. That will regulate your appetite and metabolism, instead of chugging a glass of water before your meals, which doesn't actually sound pleasant and if it messes up your digestion, that's not great either.

Comment

Originally posted by brightstar View Post
      I've heard conflicting things about drinking a full glass of water between meals. Some people say it will kill some of your appetite so you'll eat less, but other people say not to drink that much water before a meal because it dilutes your stomach acids so your digestion isn't as good and you don't get as many nutrients that you need. The thing about drinking cold water is a myth, i heard, because for the number of calories your body burns to warm up a glass of water, you'll never see anything change on the bathroom scale. It's really about the same as how many calories your body burns if you put on clothes in the winter when you get dressed in the morning. They're colder than you at first but then your body warms them up...and you still don't lose weight from it LOL So I guess it's probably just best to stay hydrated normally throughout the day. That will regulate your appetite and metabolism, instead of chugging a glass of water before your meals, which doesn't actually sound pleasant and if it messes up your digestion, that's not great either.
      I also think that the whole drinking water (cold or not) is a myth in terms of helping with appetite suppression and calorie burning. You should drink water to stay hydrated, which helps with overall health, weight loss and digestion, but drinking water isn't going to really make you feel fuller or burn more calories in any way that will be meaningful to your weight loss efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by TaraNorth View Post

I also think that the whole drinking water (cold or not) is a myth in terms of helping with appetite suppression and calorie burning. You should drink water to stay hydrated, which helps with overall health, weight loss and digestion, but drinking water isn't going to really make you feel fuller or burn more calories in any way that will be meaningful to your weight loss efforts.
        Right. that's how I feel. I mean, if we're thirsty, that can sometimes make us feel hungry (mixed signals), so sure, drinking water then can kill the hungry feeling that was caused by being thirsty in the first place. But for the rest of it, not enough is going to happen to make you lose weight just by drinking cold water instead of another temperature.

Comment

Originally posted by brightstar View Post

Right. that's how I feel. I mean, if we're thirsty, that can sometimes make us feel hungry (mixed signals), so sure, drinking water then can kill the hungry feeling that was caused by being thirsty in the first place. But for the rest of it, not enough is going to happen to make you lose weight just by drinking cold water instead of another temperature.
          Thanks. I thought this might be the case, but on the off chance drinking cold water did make a difference, I kinda wanted to know.

Comment

Working...
          X