ideal food ratio for dieting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ideal food ratio for dieting

I’ve seen a lot of really good weight loss diets say that you should have a certain ideal ratio of fat to protein to carbs when you eat your meals. Is that true for every meal or is it for the whole day? Does it really make a huge difference?

I've heard that kind of things, too. I've heard a number of different ratios. Diets can't seem to decide which one is the best one. I know that it's different depending on your goals. Like if you want to build muscle, it's different than shedding fat.

Comment

I've heard the same thing, but as MadMike says, everyone seems to have their own opinion on what those ratios should be...which makes me kind of wonder how accurate it is. I usually just make sure when I eat my meals that Vegetables make up the biggest portion on my plate. I wouldn't think it would make a huge difference. Usually I just pay attention to how many calories I'm eating in a day and make sure I'm getting enough and not going over my healthy limit.

Comment

I know that the 40-30-30 caloric ratio is a popular one. That's 40% calories from carbs, 30% from protein and 30% from fat. Personally I've never tried this and I have no idea if it actually works or, if it is something that only works for the short term. I think you're supposed to follow that for all of your main meals.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlotte View Post
          I know that the 40-30-30 caloric ratio is a popular one. That's 40% calories from carbs, 30% from protein and 30% from fat. Personally I've never tried this and I have no idea if it actually works or, if it is something that only works for the short term. I think you're supposed to follow that for all of your main meals.
          That's good to know. I was never sure which numbers to trust because I've seen a few different ones . How do you go about tracking that?

Comment

I find it impossible to keep up tracking ratios by hand. I find that an online tracker that monitors fats, carbs, and protein is the only way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
              I find it impossible to keep up tracking ratios by hand. I find that an online tracker that monitors fats, carbs, and protein is the only way to go.
              I agree. It's too impossible to keep track of your calories on your own without the help of online tools. Thank goodness for the internet!

Comment

I don't believe in the ratio to calories theory. I think you should just concentrate on eating healthy foods and making sure you are getting the nutrition you need without blowing your daily calorie total. I do agree that online trackers are really convenient for helping you track your calories.

Comment

Working...
                X