Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the difference between a fad diet and a non fad diet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the difference between a fad diet and a non fad diet?

Is every fad diet bad? What makes a fad diet a fad compared to other diets that are not? Is it simply something that is trendy and endorsed by celebrities or is it more than that? Do any fad diets work? I get really confused when the term "fad" is used to describe a diet because some people label certain diets as fads and other people do not. I'm really confused Can anyone clarify?

Many fad diets are endorsed by celebrities and are usually those that sound too good to be true. You know, the just follow this easy recipe and the fat will melt off you in days right before your eyes. They tend to promise fast weight loss results. Many of them involve fasting, eating the same foods (i.e. the cabbage soup diet), or cleanses/detox. With most you tend to lose water weight, not actual fat. You will slim down quick, but you will gain it all back just as fast and your metabolism will be out of whack.

Comment

Fad diets are short term weight loss programs that go in and out of style because they're based on hype, not results

Comment

Originally posted by Whirlybird View Post
        Fad diets are short term weight loss programs that go in and out of style because they're based on hype, not results

That is it exactly! Couldn't have said it better

Comment

Ya they really should be avoided. Although I have to admit some of them seem good. I have a friend of mine who loves them but they never work out for her. They really are a complete waste of time hahaha. Essentially, if a celebrity endorses it, chances are you should just stay away from the diet!

Comment

If you are starting a diet and you don't expect to be doing something similar to it in 10 years from now, then the odds are that you're starting a fad diet. Non-fad diets are a healthy lifestyle that will bring your weight down and then allow you to maintain in a healthy way.

Comment

Thank you for you responses. That really does help to clarify things a little

Comment

Working...
              X