Paleo diet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paleo diet

Is the paleo diet good or not? So many people at my work are completely hooked on this thing and they’re really gung-ho about it. Those of them that are on it just don’t stop talking about it, either. Is this really all it’s cracked up to be or is it just another fad? I feel like they’ve joined a weird diet cult or something!

Some people swear by it and others think of it as a fad diet, I happen to be in the latter category. When you read up on Paleo it seems to make sense, but when you start putting it into practice, you start finding out it's not as easy to follow as you might think, it's also not necessarily the healthiest diet in the world. Yes, it can help you lose weight, but at what cost? Keep in mind that on Paleo you will be upping your protein and fats and dramatically reducing carbs. If it sounds like a diet for you, try it. If not, there are better options out there.

Comment

I dont think its a fad diet but i also think its a diet that takes a lot of commitment & its not 4 everyone. Some people think its really healthy & good for weight loss but others think that it can increase certain health risks cause depending on what you eat while on it u could eat a diet high in saturated fat & thats bad 4 your heart. The other problem is its strict.

Comment

I think that the Paleo Diet has the right intentions but that it is far too basic and restrictive to be realistic. People do tend to think of it with quite the positive opinion because it does focus on a lot of things that seem natural and right for people. The idea is that it is based on the diet that our bodies were “designed” to eat because it is the type of thing that our hunter/gatherer ancestors would have eaten back in caveman days. However, what it did not take into account is that the human body has actually evolved quite a bit since that time. So our dietary needs have evolved, as well.

While I’d say that the Paleo diet is likely a lot healthier for us than the standard Western diet full of sugar, bad fat, and salt, I certainly wouldn’t call it the ideal healthful lifestyle diet because it isn’t exactly pointed in the right direction.

Comment

I agree with eT. Paleo may be better than some other diets out there, but it's definitely not one I'd do or recommend to any of my friends. Like many diets, it sounds good but the more you look into it the more you discover its impractical elements.

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post
            I agree with eT. Paleo may be better than some other diets out there, but it's definitely not one I'd do or recommend to any of my friends. Like many diets, it sounds good but the more you look into it the more you discover its impractical elements.
            I agree. I don't personally trust any diet that seems too extreme. There is definitely something to be said about trying to have a balanced diet of whole foods and using the right portion sizes, but it’s important to remember treats and enjoyment, too. That helps to feed emotional health and social health as much as nutritious foods feed physical health.

Comment

Exactly Bethie. Too many of these diets are extreme. They forget that a diet needs to be designed for a real person in this day and age...it's great and all that they think eating like cavemen is a good idea...but 1 - caveman don't exist anymore and 2 - they didn't exactly have the longest lifespan.

Comment

Originally posted by Speeddemon View Post
                2 - they didn't exactly have the longest lifespan.
                Good point! Cavemen didn't even live to be 30 years old. Maybe that's not exactly the best health program

Comment

Working...
                X