Difference between motivation and willpower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between motivation and willpower

I’m hearing a lot about how diets are about motivation, nto willpower. What is the difference.

Willpower is how you decide to act; the choices you make. So a diet based on willpower is one where you make the choice to not eat certain things and limit yourself for your own good to achieve your goal. Motivation is more about encouraging yourself to make positive and healthy choices without the sort-of "tough love" approach. At least, that's how I understand it all.

Comment

Willpower is about saying "No" all the time, while motivation is more like working toward a positive goal. Both can help you reach your weight loss goals. It's really all a matter of what works for you. That said, ultimately, for any diet to be successful, you need to have a certain level of self-control.

Comment

I completely agree with charlotte's and wolfmoon's definitions. The only thing that I'd add is that motivation is the main one that you need. You can have all the willpower in the world, but if the wind is out of your sails and you feel like you can't do it, it's not enough.

Comment

Working...
        X