Best way to support someone who is trying to lose weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to support someone who is trying to lose weight

What is the best way to support someone who wants to lose weight, especially someone you live with? I know it's probably best to go on the diet with them, but I really don't want to follow my partner's crazy diet. Has anyone been where I am now? I want to be supportive, but at the same time I don't want to alter my lifestyle too drastically.

If you don't want to go on the diet with them, as in eating the same foods as they do, you can still support them by exercising with them and being positive about their progress. Be their own personal cheerleader (without overdoing it). Also, even if you aren't taking part in their diet learn about it and just because you are not eating the same thing, this doesn't mean you can't prepare them a meal. Essentially, show the person that you care and are interested.

Comment

In my opinion the best way to support them is not to keep offering them things that they love to eat but that goes against their diet rules. That drives me bananas. People know I'm trying very hard and that it's not easy, and they're always saying "just one biscotti...it won't hurt anything" or "come on with us for pizza". ARGH!

Comment

I agree with 1000kilowatts. If you don't want to do the diet with them, that's fine, but don't make it harder for them by going out of your way to tempt them with things that you want to eat but that you know they are trying to avoid. You don't have to change your lifestyle for someone else, but at the same time you shouldn't be a jerk lol.

Comment

Be positive with them & get involved. It really makes a difference when u know someone cares about what ur doing. Ask questions & be sweet

Comment

Originally posted by BabyButtons View Post
            Be positive with them & get involved. It really makes a difference when u know someone cares about what ur doing. Ask questions & be sweet
            It sounds like you don't know how to do anything except be supportive. You're sweet with everything that you do, BabyButtons. I certainly know that it makes a difference to come on this forum and tell people about the things that I've discovered and have you here to be sweet in return. You should go into some kind of business that needs people who are positive, sweet, and supportive (if you aren't already working at that kind of job).

The positive energies that flow from this level of support can't be achieved anywhere else. There is a very important social energy that people tend to forget about when they're focusing hard on eating right and exercising. While those do enhance the flow of positive energy through the body, a person also needs the added stimulation of having someone else there who can motivate them and make them feel good. This part of weight loss and of achieving anything in life is often overlooked.

Comment

Those are some pretty good tips. Thanks! It seems the most important one is not to be a jerk and be understanding lol. I think I can manage that.

Comment

Originally posted by enviroTodd View Post
                It sounds like you don't know how to do anything except be supportive. You're sweet with everything that you do, BabyButtons. I certainly know that it makes a difference to come on this forum and tell people about the things that I've discovered and have you here to be sweet in return. You should go into some kind of business that needs people who are positive, sweet, and supportive (if you aren't already working at that kind of job).

The positive energies that flow from this level of support can't be achieved anywhere else. There is a very important social energy that people tend to forget about when they're focusing hard on eating right and exercising. While those do enhance the flow of positive energy through the body, a person also needs the added stimulation of having someone else there who can motivate them and make them feel good. This part of weight loss and of achieving anything in life is often overlooked.
                Awww thanks envirotodd. Believe it or not, i used 2 be a negative person but then 1 day i had an attitude adjustment & realized life was 2 short 2 be like that. Im much happier now than i ever was b4. I find people r much happier & friendlier when ur nice with them. Ur positivity makes this forum great! Glad i could be a ray of sunshine 4 u

Comment

Awww thanks envirotodd. Believe it or not, i used 2 be a negative person but then 1 day i had an attitude adjustment & realized life was 2 short 2 be like that. Im much happier now than i ever was b4. I find people r much happier & friendlier when ur nice with them. Ur positivity makes this forum great! Glad i could be a ray of sunshine 4 u
                  I have a hard time thinking of you as a negative person, BabyButtons. You are always filled with such positive energy and very supportive things to say. I’m glad that you had the realization that you did because it is an important one. Many of us don’t actually come to that discovery until we have missed a tremendous number of opportunities in our lives and have soured the environment for the people around us.

Every time you say something, you add to the positive nature of the conversation. You have certainly taken your lesson and have used it to its fullest potential. Good for you.

Comment

Thanks envirotodd. U know just what 2 say 2 make me feel good about myself!

Comment

Working...
                    X