How many calories make up one pound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many calories make up one pound?

Does anyone know how many calories you need to burn in order to lose one pound?

1 pound of fat is equivalent to about 3,500 calories. Therefore, you will need to burn off this many calories to lose one pound of weight. This gives you a good idea of how much you'll need to exercise and how much you should eat. The good news is that it shouldn't be too difficult to keep your calorie consumption far below 3,500 in a day, considering the average person typically requires 2,000 calories or less in a day (that does depend on age, gender, activity level and so on).

Comment

If all things are equal, ya, 3,500, but most doctors will tell you that there's a lot more to it than that. All calories are not created equal. Some burn easier than others

Comment

Originally posted by PennyThoughts View Post
        If all things are equal, ya, 3,500, but most doctors will tell you that there's a lot more to it than that. All calories are not created equal. Some burn easier than others
        You’re right about that. Some calories really are way easier to burn. You’d think when it comes to calories everything would be equal though, wouldn’t you? Why is it that things just have to have that extra complicated level...

Comment

I think the universe likes to be complicated so that we never get to the point that we figure it all out. Apparently, dieting is a good lesson in being humble.

Comment

Originally posted by MadMike View Post
            I think the universe likes to be complicated so that we never get to the point that we figure it all out. Apparently, dieting is a good lesson in being humble.
            LOL now that I can believe! I think that we'll be able to figure this out one day, though

Comment

Great! Thanks for that info Janet and what you said PennyThoughts does make sense.

Comment

Working...
              X